Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

MKV files are stuttering when played...
    josruu
    post Dec 15 2011, 06:10 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 98,375

Hi! New to the forum and this is my first post. I have the WD TV HD Live and this is connected with cat5 network cable to my computer.
    All files i play and stream is on my computers harddrive.

On music and regular ISO files everything works great, the problems starts when I try to play MKV files. After a few minutes,even seconds sometimes the movie starts stuttering and sound stops...I have tried MKV files from the size of 5gb to 45gb and the act the same,works for a few moments and then starts to stutter...

But I have played MKV files on it before without problems so why does this appear now? Settings are the same as they have always been and it has worked before.
    I tried to play the files on my computer with VLC player and they work fine there. Does anyone know why it suddenly acts like this?
    And sorry for some bad typing, Im norwegian:)

Ive been to the idea of that its maybe my harddrives that are too slow, but then it shouldnt work with VLC either? And the drives are 2 years old.They are quite full so maybe thats slowing them down? I can try to put the files on an external drive and connect it to the WD player with USB and check how its acting then maybe?
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
    Replies (1 - 5)
    post Dec 15 2011, 06:10 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    josruu
    post Dec 15 2011, 07:20 AM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

I have now copied a couple of mkv files to an external harddrive,(the kind powered by the usb port) and then the films works fine. So far no stuttering.The disk that contains the movies have 30gb left so it shouldnt be that its too full? I dont understand a thing of this, why its stuttering when played on cabled network when its ok from usb....

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 15 2011, 01:11 PM
    Post #3

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

it's a network problem.
    if you are just using windows shares this is a well known problem.

using custom firmware and NFS (an NFS Server on your computer) and then mounting your shares is what most people do to watch videos over a network for best performance.

no worries about being Norwegian, your English and grammar are fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    josruu
    post Dec 16 2011, 07:28 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

I`m sharing with windows yes....But how can it be that I have played one of these files before, without any problems? And now suddenly all files that are 720p or bigger stutters?The network is capable of 100mb/s so that should be enough shouldnt it?

I have tried to downgrade my firmaware on the WD TV but that didtn help either....And Ive tried Tversity, but it stutters just as much as without.
    I have tried to restart my network and computers but it didnt help. Do you have a link that explains how NFS Server works? Its not the worst thing in the world to have to use an external HDD but damn, its easy just to stream the movies:) Thank you for the answer:)

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 16 2011, 03:24 PM
    Post #5

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

unfortunately for many people it worked then one day it didn't, I have no answer for you as to why unfortunately.

you should shut everything off, WDTV, computers, router, any switches, etc. anything attached to your network, power it completely off for at least 1 minute.
    then power on (wait until completely booted before proceeding):

router
    computer
    wdtv

nothing else at this point

then test it, if it still acts up then something is definitely messed up or some computer update messed with your samba or your shares.

NFS works so good you wouldn't believe it, I can stream the 34GB release of avatar with no issue at all, wired or wireless (N150)

it requires custom firmware on the WDTV media player though.
    a good tutorial is here:
    http://mrlazy.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/how...-using-hanewin/

good luck, don't hesitate to ask questions, we will help you any way we can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    stanleytberry
    post Jan 20 2012, 11:41 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 102,359

I have a file server on my home LAN (Turnkey File Server, cloud access disabled). I have a ReadyNAS NV+ on my home LAN. I have a collection of assorted video files on the NAS server. I mounted the NAS server share on the file server (nfs). I have a WD TV Live downstairs by the TV. I bridged two Netgear N WAPs and plugged the WD TV Live into one. I played various video files/streams and everything worked for a week or so. Then they began stuttering [is that really the right term?]. I would unplug the WAPs and the WD TV Live for 5 minutes and then stuff played OK ... for a short while and then the stuttering began again.

I replaced the two Netgear WAPs with a 30 foot cable between the WD TV Live and my home LAN. Worked good ... for a week ... and then it started stuttering again.

I bought a WD Power Line kit and replaced the cable. For a week I thought I'd licked it and then the stuttering began again.

I moved the files off the NAS (thinking that maybe it periodically got busy house cleaning) and onto the server upon which I'd previously mounted the share. For several days the same files that had previously played, stuttered, played ... again played flawlessly. Then the stuttering began again.

I got a Netgear Prosafe gigabit switch that had VLAN and QoS configurability. I put the file server and the WD Power Line hub on a VLAN with the ports at highest QoS. For the past week I thought I'd finally licked it ... again. This morning I played a video for my wife to show off the accomplishment. It began stuttering half-way through.

The server has 4 new 1TB HDs w/3MB buffers, a 4 core 64 bit 3.x GHz processor, a gigabit Ethernet adapter and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Nothing else is running on, or accessing, the file server. I have a dedicated ipCop machine between my home LAN and the AT&T Uverse "modem" and I have the AT&T Uverse wireless disabled ... yes, I did briefly question whether somebody was hacking each new configuration I set up.

At each configuration unplugging the WD TV Live will stop the stuttering for a short period of time. It seemed like less each time.

Can anyone ... please ... offer any explanation as to what's happening?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 04:14 AM