Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Max speed for Live SMP?
    egloskerry
    post Jan 7 2012, 06:00 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 100,139

Just got my SMP. I have it connected over wifi-n. Just tried to play Abduction (mkv, 13.2Mbps bitrate, 10GB file) and it's stuttering. Seems like this should be doable. Signal strength is medium. I did set it up through NFS, but I'm still getting stuttering. Anything else I should do to improve speed? How can I optimize the hanewin settings?

Edit: I was able to fix it some, but I still encounter some stuttering. Someone mentioned they were able to play a 34GB copy of Avatar flawlessly.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 7 2012, 06:00 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    outburst
    post Jan 17 2012, 12:01 PM
    Post #2

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 1,387

Supported data rates should be anywhere from 150Mbps to 300Mbps with 802.11n. I agree that it would take a darn near massive file to stutter the WDTV SMP.

I would check your router settings as well as look for potential sources of interference. There are a lot of other devices that use the 2.4 Ghz spectrum that could be breaking up your signal. Cordless phones, baby monitors and microwaves can cause interference that might cause your stream to stutter.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jan 17 2012, 07:58 PM
    Post #3

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

sounds like it's reverted to G mode. if any device connects to your router (or access point) that uses G mode, the router / access point will fall back for every device.
    and that is why I have an N only network in my house just for media streaming. it's an ASUS RT-N16 running in draft N that is usually anywhere from 117 to 130 and I can stream anything that I can play wired, yes including the 34GB release of avatar flawlessly.
    everything else is on the ISP supplied G wifi.

+Quote Post
    headcheese
    post Jan 31 2012, 09:28 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 103,481

If my experience may be of value, when I first tried using my WD SMP, I pulled my hair out trying to determine why the stuttering, choppy playback would be occuring if it wasn't in fact a broken device, which I was certain it was. The data rate of a BD doesn't require a gigabit router to transmit. Fast ethernet is just fine, and my gear should have supported it. I tried it wired and wireless. The PC always was wired. Eventually I swapped out the cabling, which was a pita, but turned out to solve it. The cat5 cable that I'd installed years ago wasn't carrying the signal well enough. I swapped with cat5e, and streaming works dandy now, at 1080 no problem. The specs for cat5 suggest that signal degradation would have been negligible over <60ft of line, but perhaps something else was involved.

+Quote Post
    bseos
    post Jul 10 2012, 03:50 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 114,191

Having problems streaming some 1080p videos. After some time (10-15 minutes) playback will begin to stutter.
    Not sure if wireless issue (insufficient transmit rate) or if issue with firmware on wdtv live.

I have a wireless repeater bridge setup, to which the wdtv is connected to. Both router and RB (repeater bridge) report 300Mbps transmit rates, however when the wdtv is streaming videos from my Network attached storage it is limited to a max of 150Mbps due to the way wireless RB's work.

I guess im really just asking to confirm what i believe is a a issue with the wireless transmit rate.

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/YfNhS.png)

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jul 10 2012, 06:09 PM
    Post #6

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

it's likely a limitation of CIFS (Windows sharing) as it has a large overhead unfortunately. on my units I use custom firmware (not available for the SMP or hub) and I run an NFS server on my PC and mount the shares, I can play anything without issue, even the 34GB release of avatar (my test file) plays fine over wireless, which I have limited to 150MB/s, I rarely get over 117 though and it's a non issue.

I know nothing about the live hub or the live SMP, they may have NFS support in the WD firmware or they may not, I know it was an addition for the other ones via custom firmware.

+Quote Post
    bseos
    post Jul 12 2012, 10:42 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 114,191

Does the WDTV Live support wireless N connections greater than 150 Mbps?
    As you can see in the screenshot below the second client is the WDTV Live, and the TxRate never goes above 150.

As i mentioned previouly i "had" the WDTV live connected to a wireless repeater bridge which effectvley cut my bandwidth in half.
    I assumed the WDTV Live was conecting at 300mbps and due to the repeater bridge, it would have a theoretical transmit rate of 150Mbps.
    I figured this would be enough. However this is when i was experiencing mkv stuttering. Usually occurring when playing parts of videos with higher bitrate than usual.

Today i decided to turn the wireless repeater bridge into a Wireless Access Point. So i connected the routers together with cat6 cable. Spent the day running the cable throug the roof and under the house.. **bleep** firewalls and insulation!!!

Anyway, with the second router running as a Access Point now, there would be no halving of my bandwidth as with the repeater bridge.
    I have tried playing a few HD movies that i had problems with before.. and... they played fine. No skipping or stuttering.

It seems like you need to hold a decent 150Mbps wireless connection.
    With the repeater bridge i had setup before, this speed was halfed; which is probably why i was experiencing stuttering. I assumed the WDTV Live connected @ 300Mbps, but it seems like it only connects @ 150Mbps.

I will try out some more mkv's over the next few days so see if this has resolved my issue and will report back.

(IMG:http://i.imgur.com/hbCrp.png)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:17 AM