Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       External Repository Help, Help with setting up a repository
    rileyjacob
    post Jan 9 2012, 03:33 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 100,880

I think my previous post about this was in he wrong section.

I am new to this and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the new WD Live Streaming box. I switched from wdlive with b-rad firmware with movie sheets and so far, I love it.

My question is simple.

My brother and I each have this WD Live Streaming box and we want to setup a central repository of home video files. For example, I record Christmas home videos and put them on a central hard drive in another location. My brother can pull these videos down to his hard drive. Basically, the network share only outside my home network.

Can this be done? Thanks everyone for your help!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jan 9 2012, 03:33 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Orly
    post Feb 13 2012, 10:17 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 105,636

Check me if I understood it right, you wish to share your videos, stored on a PC or NAS maybe, to your brother using his WD TV Live SMP over the Internet?

I don't think it can be done. None of the WD TV Live boxes support static mappings to locate the server, AFAIK. For the most part, it uses Netbios (Windows share) or DLNA to discover media servers over the local network. Suffice to say, this protocol only works on the local workgroup/network.

Alternatively, you can upload the videos to Youtube or Vimeo. Your brother will be able to search for your videos through his SMP using the built-in services. Not as elegant, I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 12:01 PM