Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       USB Hub, Which one should I get
    PolarCap
    post Jul 18 2009, 09:42 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 924

I seen a couple guys chatting about a USB hub, I tried one I had but I got a funny error from my
    usb drive "drive cannot be congregated" ?????

I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a firmware patch or if I need a specific hub

Thanks
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 18 2009, 09:42 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jul 19 2009, 06:25 AM
    Post #2

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

the latest firmware seems to have disabled USB hub use, you may have to use an older version. Some of the 'hacked' firmwares do have support in the latest version, what are you using, hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

+Quote Post
    PolarCap
    post Jul 19 2009, 12:29 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 924

Im using the 1.02.10 ver (I think)
    The Hub is a Belkin (ac powered) 7-port

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 19 2009, 01:07 PM
    Post #4

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

QUOTE (PolarCap @ Jul 19 2009, 12:29 PM) *
    Im using the 1.02.10 ver (I think)
    The Hub is a Belkin (ac powered) 7-port

Hi PolarCap, Welcome to the forums. I would downgrade that firmware and then try your hub again. The version 1.02.10 is a beta version anyhow. Follow these easy steps to get you back to the offical firmware HERE. Also grab 1.02.07 HERE. Let us know how you make out.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    arrakis
    post Dec 11 2009, 10:31 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,021

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Jul 19 2009, 05:25 AM) *
    the latest firmware seems to have disabled USB hub use, you may have to use an older version. Some of the 'hacked' firmwares do have support in the latest version, what are you using, hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Why would this happen? can't you sell more WD drives if you can connect more to the device. It seems anti-productive.

Does the lastest firmware on the WDTV Live allow usb hubs?

Get it together WD, even if it's not a documented feature, it's a feature that people choose your device for. There is more competition on the market now. Players like those from LG are starting to incorporate WiFi built in. Maybe not the same price point, but sought after feature is worth it to many consumers.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 11 2009, 02:04 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Yeah, nobody here quite understood why of all things WD would go and remove features their players supported with older firmware. I mean, they could have said that "it's an unsupported feature so don't come to us with bug reports re. this" and still people would have been happy, but to remove it? Weird, simply weird. However, if one were feeling generous, one might give them the benefit of doubt and say that maybe disabling the feature was a mistake caused due to an oversight by a firmware developer?

I think the WDLXTV and WDLXTV-Live custom firmwares re-enable this feature, so you can try those if you really feel like it.

+Quote Post
    csutherl
    post Dec 14 2009, 03:07 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,256

Can anyone confirm the new WDLXTV firmwares re-enable the hub option? Any using it with a hub?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 14 2009, 06:09 PM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

The pages for WDLXTV and WDLXTV-Live on b-rad's site seem to indicate that hubs work, but do read the comments. People seem to be facing problems getting NTFS drives to work with hubs, whereas FAT32 or EXT2/3 drives seem to be recognised fine. YMMV of course. Best thing is to try it out for yourself and let us know the results so others can benefit as well.

+Quote Post
    spernst
    post Nov 30 2010, 04:29 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 31,728

i'm a bit late to the party here....has this issue ever been resolved? i hate fat32 and have over 3 terabytes of movies on 2 harddrives. i love my stupid little moviesheets and don't want to give them up by removing the custom fw. any advice?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 30 2010, 04:52 AM
    Post #10

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@spernst: As mentioned above, WDLXTV re-enables USB hub support that was deliberately disabled by WD in their official FW, but since it's an unofficial hack, not all hubs are supported. You'll have to try a few before you find one that works.

P.S. I deleted your off-topic hub-related post from your moviesheets thread. I guess you found this thread later.

+Quote Post
    spernst
    post Dec 1 2010, 02:21 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 31,728

Yeah, sorry about that...so just to be clear, i don't have to enable anything in the soo customs file?
    for anyone else searching this topic, i'm using a gen2 with wdlxtv 4.1.9-6. i'm attempting to read multiple wd my book external harddrives. looks like i've got some trial and error ahead, so i'll post some results on the hubs that do/don't work as i get them in this thread. if anyone else already has some info on working hubs, feel free to spare my wallet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
    *first attempt...no good:( Belkin 4 port ac power model#F4U016. This will get expensive methinks...

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Dec 1 2010, 08:14 AM
    Post #12

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

No specific hub-related options exist for you to configure. If it works, it works. Also, be sure to use a powered hub, as unpowered hubs have a very low success rate (if at all they do work).

+Quote Post
    crankydog
    post Aug 7 2011, 09:55 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 74,210

I am running the latest firmware and the hubs wont work
    on hard drives but the hub will support a wireless keyboard
    I think the wireless key board is an upgrade
    and I believe someone made a mistake
    So u can have 2 hard drives plus a wireless keyboard connected to the wd tv
    I am happy with the machine
    But i have 3 complaints
    Since it is sposed to be a media center
    it does not support flv
    there is the problem with the usb hub
    it also will not play copy protected dvds
    To play a copy protected dvd u have to use the network ,Share a drive ,and run copy protection removal software on your computer
    Does this not encourage people to pirate
    I am not sure if this legal .Since u are not actually copying the movie but simply bypassing the copy protection
    I don't know?
    Otherwise
    U need and extra device (dvd player ) connected to your tv
    Just what everyone wants extra power costs plus another bloody remote control
    MY lounge chair is starting to look like a space shuttle lol
    anyway I guess maybe one day some one will have a brain and fix all this stuff
    regards
    Gary
    Ps this may not be appropriate to this forum but my dad wants a media player but hp are offering one at about the same price .they say it does support flv
    I know nothing about the machine but are going to try it since wd seem to flatly refuse to add flv support
    if wd had addressed some of what their customers want I would not be trying a hp as I am happy with wd
    My brother wants one 2 but he also is going to wait till we see what the hp can do or not do HP do tell u up front that they don't support copy protected dvd
    wd just gives u a garbled screen
    Please advise me if I am doing anything wrong as I have no wish to run a product down because I am doing something stupid
    Flv support is a big factor in the decision to try another brand

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 7 2011, 11:44 PM
    Post #14

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@crankydog: As mentioned above, USB hubs are not support by WD. Some powered hubs work with custom WDLXTV firmware installed.

You're correct in that copy-protected content is not supported. As far as encouraging piracy goes, well for sure all manufacturers know that such players are not used solely for playing legally purchased content (plus even ripping/backing up store-bought DVDs or BRs may be illegal depending on where you live). But what do you expect them to do, stop selling their wares? That might be like stopping the sale of blank drives or discs because they can be used for storing pirated content.

As per the manual, FLV support on the Live/Live Plus/Live Hub is limited to those files that use the H.264 codec for video. You can check your files using MediaInfo. If you're waiting for Sigma/WD to add support for other codecs in the FLV container, I suggest you buy another player.

+Quote Post
    gr8throba
    post Dec 5 2011, 05:38 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 27,612

No hub support.......just stupid.........Xtreamer Prodigy ,Popcorn Hour , Seagate media player , Kaiser Bass media player , just to name a few new players out there. Talk about killing the goose that layed the golden egg , WD has dropped the ball on a market they had cornered. I'll be jumping ship as soon as I figure out which competitor has the best product with hub support.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Dec 5 2011, 03:10 PM
    Post #16

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

you go girl, they dropped USB hub support 2 years ago ...
    you should get an apple tv, I hear they are grrrreat, in all of their 720p maimum glory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 06:15 AM