Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV Live Hub Always Running?
    Geekstar
    post Feb 28 2012, 10:05 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 104,817

Hello,

I purchased a WD TV Live Hub roughly a month ago and it's been working flawlessly for my needs.

My question is, and I might be in the wrong area to ask this, but because this is my primary NAS, it's constantly running so I'm concerned that this will shorten the lifespan of the unit.

Does anyone have any experience with this and should I be turning this completely off when I know it won't be used?

Any advice or a point to the right topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Feb 28 2012, 10:05 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 29 2012, 05:23 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I don't own the Hub, but I always turn off my WD players when I know they won't be used for a while. Always eject/safely remove all attached USB drives too before shutting down.

I don't know whether the Hub has this feature, but the Live SMP's remote can be pressed for a short duration to send the device to standby mode, and for a longer duration to power it down. You might want to check whether the Hub does this as well.

BTW, did you sell your Gen. 1? How much did you manage to get for it anyway?

+Quote Post
    Geekstar
    post Feb 29 2012, 09:38 AM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Thanks for your quick response and that makes perfect sense that you'd want to power the unit completely off after use.

I typically leave them all in standby mode which might be the wrong way of going about things?

The Hub I usually leave in standby mode and if you're unaware, the HDD / fan are always running as it can be accessed as a network share to other WD players in your home. We're typically always watching a movie etc from this device so the need for it to always be running is somewhat vital for ease of access.

I'm hoping to find out if this will be detrimental to the lifespan of this device or if they're meant for 24/7 use as NAS such as the My Book Live Duo are.

Any further advice with my concerns would be much appreciated!

And I actually sold my 1st Gen WD TV to a friend for $10, didn't think I would get much more out of it on eBay. :]

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Mar 2 2012, 08:03 AM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

I'm really not sure whether WD rates this model for 24x7 use. I also doubt that it contains their newer AV drives that IMO would be ideally suited for such devices.

Earlier models did run a little hot and sometimes that tended to affect playback after prolonged use. Don't remember anyone having reported anything similar yet in relation to the Hub, but you might still want to check the box from time to time. Also ensure it's in a cool dry place, and if it does get too hot, you can always try keeping a table fan pointed towards it.

+Quote Post
    Geekstar
    post Mar 2 2012, 09:21 AM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

I think I've powered it all the way down twice since I've purchased it, but I am thinking about a cooling solution as this sits in a cabinet, usually with the door cracked.

The fan within the Hub is an exhaust fan rather than intake however, but the legs on the device are very small so it has very little clearance to emit the heat.

I bought this thing for 24/7 use so if it dies, I'll either swap the drive or buy a My Book Live Duo and just use that as my primary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks again for the info and I'll report back if the 1TB Scorpio Blue drive decides to take a dump!

+Quote Post
    FuryDE
    post Mar 11 2012, 07:30 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 108,656

To prevent overheating ist would be very nice if the HDD would spin Down in standby. It could spin up on first access. I wonder why the drive keeps spinning even if it is not being accessed for a while.

+Quote Post
    snyghalt
    post Apr 11 2012, 12:15 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 50,286

I experienced the same you did.
    Keeping the I/O button on the front of the unit for 10 seconds shuts off the power completly.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:22 AM