Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Killer?
    Guyver
    post Jul 21 2009, 01:15 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 1,058

Anyone heard of the DViCO TViX HD M-6500A Networked HDTV Media Player? It features ethernet, Wi-Fi, component video, and acts as a DVR. Check the pictures out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815135004

This device also lets you delete files.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jul 21 2009, 01:15 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 21 2009, 01:39 PM
    Post #2

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

I dont know if I would call it the killer of the WDTV due to the price. If you want to find the REAL killer of the WDTV you might want to check out the Xtreamer, now that puppy looks sweet and its only 99 euros which makes it pretty close to the wdtv price. Although the DViCO looks nice and has all the bells and whistles its the price that keeps in the niche market.

+Quote Post
    Guyver
    post Jul 21 2009, 01:44 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,058

QUOTE (neverlift @ Jul 21 2009, 01:39 PM) *
    I dont know if I would call it the killer of the WDTV due to the price. If you want to find the REAL killer of the WDTV you might want to check out the Xtreamer, now that puppy looks sweet and its only 99 euros which makes it pretty close to the wdtv price. Although the DViCO looks nice and has all the bells and whistles its the price that keeps in the niche market.

The price is definitely a turn off, but it does have ethernet and DVR capabilities out of the box. For $100, I've been happy with my WDTV for the most part.

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Jul 21 2009, 04:06 PM
    Post #4

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Guyver please take a look at the Xtreamer its pretty impressive but I have yet to see a user review of the product.

+Quote Post
    ToJa92
    post Jul 27 2009, 11:45 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 1,257

As for ethernet support out-of-the box, it sounds good, but I couldn't really care less about the DVR part. I would never use it.
    "Use the included remote control to navigate through your entertainment choices using our crisp, animated HD menus." I actually like the WD TV's static menu, I think animations just clutter the UI too much. I hope WD add a alternative to turn off the fade out/fade in effect when pressing OK on a option in their next firmware.

EDIT: Sure, many might prefer this over the WD TV, but I would like to see a review first.

+Quote Post
    NormanD
    post Aug 10 2009, 05:01 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,574

QUOTE (ToJa92 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:45 PM) *
    EDIT: Sure, many might prefer this over the WD TV, but I would like to see a review first.

-
    Hi guys, my first post, found these:

http://dbone1026.blogspot.com/2009/07/xtre...mpcclubcom.html

Sunday, July 12, 2009
    Xtreamer Review From MPCClub.com
    First "major" review just released, overall good things to say. With my PCH A-110 dying on me I am in the market for a secondary player in my house (I am perfectly content with my HTPCs as my primary players and based on the review and from what others have said I couldn't see using the Xtreamer as a primary player anyhow). However, based on some questionable practices and shady responses I would have a hard time supporting such a company. Also, being in the states the Xtreamer is close to USD 200, which puts it in direct competition with many other players.

See below MPCClub excerpt from the full review which can be found here.

Conclusion on the Xtreamer

We covered so much and then still not covered it all. That’s showing how much is inside this little box. As usual we leave stuff out for you to discover.

A big "well done" to Xtreamer for achieving a €99 player that is more than just
    a WDTV competition and can even compete with the bigger names on the market at only a fraction of their price however, to convince the true media heavy weights to pick the Xtreamer, several enhancements are necessary, especially in
    the video section and overall convenience of the player…

Starting with 24p which is buggy, some problems with playback still exist, the few issues with HD playback make up for a nice target to improve. The MKV
    subtitles, both embedded and external subtitles must be loaded simultaneously as having embedded subs on a scene release does not mean our language is included. Therefore we need the ability to load external subtitles even if embedded subtitles are included. If the MKV has 2 subs and there’s one external, the subtitles button should load a virtual list like this and loop through them:
    1. Subtitles Off
    2. Embedded sub 1
    3. Embedded sub 2
    4. External sub 1

Next, wireless streaming is important to get tuned a bit more as is network streaming for files. We believe the multiple presses we had to make to start a
    video are related to network. On few files we saw choppy playback and some
    artifacts but considering the €99 player we saw an amazing performance up for
    competition vs. NMT and TViX with about 90% of our files played correctly. More worried I am about so many files requiring us to start it twice or more before it actually starts playing from my NAS and then almost half Youtube video’s failing to play too. A bit of tweaking can resolve this.

NFS is something Xtreamer should consider adding and then update the shortcut options to actually provide the ability to place shortcuts to shares and folders, NFS and SMB sources as fixed target. I would even recommend adding the shortcuts on the main page to avoid the extra clicks to reach shortcuts. It’s called shortcuts for a reason fellas. I also remember Xtreamer told me NFS was
    supported, but I could not find it.

Add a bookmark overview from which we can resume playback and update the
    options a little like adding progressive zoom, default image sizes like actual size, stretch, full screen and when done, update the GoTo function to disappear when we press enter to apply our selection. Every click counts…

For setup, we would like the Brightness and Contrast to be available during movie playback without returning to setup section maybe even including HUE and Saturation. Also present a screen including all options so we don’t have to set each one separately, that saves time. More options to set Audio separately from the global variables would be nice too. It’s all about convenience and maximizing options today...

Music and picture sections are truly good. Few updates are necessary which mainly are directed towards adding .FLA extension, support for DTS and AC3
    files and separate the music preview option from the video preview option as
    they purpose a total different thing. In video they are annoying, in music they
    are superb. Let’s avoid switching this on and off every time we like to switch
    media types. In addition, the album art files should not be shown separately as
    it makes browsing more difficult unless we apply the audio filter. Even then, it
    might still be an issue when using music files in slideshow if they cause an image to be injected into our slideshow.

I probably overlook some additional comments like the fan noise and other stuff I could come up with as a conclusion, fact is, for €99 this is a superb value and the firmware at this level in many ways is more mature than most players released before. Xtreamer obviously made a decent attempt at tuning the interface to an easy and appealing one, even though it overloaded it with its
    own logos on every page, too much for me. Other than the copy section, the interface was convenient and fine. I would like to see the file manager be enhanced to have more files listed.

Now with a few updates maturing the video section, we sure get an affordable alternative to even bigger names on the market than WDTV and not necessarily mean we get less. RealTek is ready to compete obviously with Sigma enabling brands like Xtreamer who add a decent amount of effort into redesigning, to compete with TViX, NMT and HDI and this first attempt to catch up is simply amazing and should warn other brands to stop overcharging.

This player should at least be in your home as a second player or for the less demanding users as a main player. With a few well targeted updates, even
    advanced users can find their needs in the Xtreamer and that for only €99. Right
    now, the video section is more than good and a few targeted updates will make it
    even better. This is one "xtreme" value for money.

It will be interesting to see the other new players come to market and compare these against the Xtreamer… Very interesting…

+Quote Post
    delf
    post Aug 12 2009, 12:18 AM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 1,195

My next player is the http://www.mvixusa.com/ultio/1080p-high-de...bittorrent.html check the specs out on this

+Quote Post
    willyarnold
    post Dec 12 2009, 07:12 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,577

Regarding the Xtreamer, thanks for the links to reviews, but has anyone here actually bought one of these and used them? I just bought one WDTV Live for my parents for Christmas and am getting ready to buy another for myself, but the Xtreamer looks very tempting. I need help making a decision.

Advantages I like:

Live Internet Channels: CNN, NBC, ABC, BBC, ESPN, Yahoo Video, etc.
    RSS Support
    Blueray Iso Support
    Remote Control with iPhone / iPod Touch
    Included remote is larger / has more options
    Customizable XMB Folder Style
    The HD GUI looks pretty slick on their web site (but may not be available yet)
    ? Supports resume play

Advantages I don't care about:

Internal HDD Support (plugging one in is easy enough)
    more internet radio (I don't use my TV for radio)
    Free 802.11N wifi antenna (prefer to be plugged in)
    Multilingual Support (I speak English)

Disadvantages:

Quote "Youtube support will be removed from our units in next FW upgrade due to official request from Youtube."
    Some reviews said the interface was slower, however some said it was faster
    Slightly higher cost, but may be well worth it
    Half the RAM of WDTV Live (256 vs. 512), slower processor (450 Mhz overclocked vs 500 Mhz) and much less ROM (32MB vs 512MB)
    Realtek chipset has been demonstrated repeatedly to produce a lower quality picture, especially on DVD isos

Problems for both:

Both systems have been having lots of bugs and firmware update issues

+Quote Post
    hotelsinus
    post Jun 3 2011, 11:25 AM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 22,312

my brother has one of them

terrible slow player

- slow boot
    - slow respond
    I hate dvico,
    tha is never beat wdtv live!!!!!!!!!!!
    NEVER

i talk to my brother why use that shit for years now,,, chek my wdtv
    when he see my player he sell that junk.... and buy wdtv hub!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 03:42 AM