Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Network Issues, Network,Shared Folders
    Noddist
    post Mar 25 2012, 03:34 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 109,590

Recently purchased a WD TV LIVE Streaming Media Player and have come across a few issues...

Running Windows 7,Service Pack 1, 64-bit, wifi network.

First off, After tweaking with file permissions, the player seemingly takes forever to discover a network share; the load icon just keeps going with no error message or anything - forever. The only things that were changed were file/folder permissions, but not the computer's connection to the WD Live player.

Need to know how to make the WD Live player detect the computer again when the "Network Share" option is selected.

Second, when the player could detect "network share" only some files were showing up - it seemed that all of the folders showed up but not all the media (folder marked "movies" with .avi files would only show the folder - each time I selected the folder the player would say "No Media Detected") While another folder would show up with files and play them. They had the same permissions, and they were shared in the same way - seemingly no differences.

Called Tech support and they suggested it might be a codec issue - but if you put the files on a thumb drive and put them in the player, the player has no problem recognizing them or playing them - so I don't think it is a codec issue.

I have right-clicked these folders and told them to share, and make sure it applied those changes to the subfolders/files too. I can't seem to un-check the "read only" box as Windows just re-checks it. (Wonder if the read only might be an issue - but then on the folders/files that worked, that box was always checked as well.)

Just to recap, here is what I need to know:

How do I get the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player to detect the computer - as I said the "thinking" graphic just keeps going, no error message or anything. Before it came up after two seconds, and now nothing.

I need to know how to share folders/files properly. The player can detect the folders properly (when it was connected through network share) but it often didn't recognize the content, displaying a message of "no media available."

If anyone can help that would be great, Thanks for your time.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Mar 25 2012, 03:34 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Spasch
    post Mar 26 2012, 06:16 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Group: Members
    Member No.: 17,969

I'm having odd issues like this too. Same setup, except my files are all on a NAS. Normally, if after I hit the video option and it just spins, I hit the home button on the remote and then video again and it sorts itself out. More recently (notably after this latest firmware), it opens the videos but doesn't show all the folders. When this happens, I pull the power out of the back of the unit and then put it back in to reboot. This fixes it until the next time it starts happening..

On a different note, once my Rasberry Pi is delivered I'm going to use the Rasberry Pi as a network file streamer powered by the USB port on my TV. If this works well, then I'm going to get a second one and sell my WD units.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 06:04 AM