Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Blu-Ray Competition, competition
    Coleman
    post Apr 28 2009, 02:51 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 111

It looks like the WD HDTV could have some serious competition from a new JVC Blu-Ray player.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/25/jvc-x...0p-mkv-support/

This new player will play MKV files and be BD-Live enabled. (Not that the last point means much, I haven't been impressed with BD-Live features so far.)

If this trend continues, how relevent will the WD HDTV be in one year???
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Apr 28 2009, 02:51 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Apr 28 2009, 03:19 PM
    Post #2

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

For now the WD TV is very relevant since for now its pretty much the best thing for your money that plays these file formats. I wait for the day they build this little unit right into the tv. As far as BD-Live, its complete shit! I bought the Sony 550 and tried out the BD-Live features and wow what a total piece of shit that was. I have since sold my 550 and went with the WD TV for now. I do think the WD TV is in for a run for its money, but like I said earlier its the cheapest way to get those certain files to play in full hd on your tv.

+Quote Post
    Organized
    post Apr 29 2009, 12:09 PM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 79

It's always hard to say which way technology will go. We were supposed to be using video phones but that never happened. I think the idea WDTV won't fade, but whether or not it's Western Digital rolling out the next big media player remains to be seen. I can tell you I've enjoyed my WDTV and couldn't see replacing it anytime soon!

+Quote Post
    Coleman
    post Apr 29 2009, 01:21 PM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 111

Another plus in the WD HDTV's corner is that you can re-use the same USB drive over and over. The creation of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs require raw materials and energy. Transfering files only takes energy. That was one of the selling features I gave my wife. No more burning shows to a disc, storing it for a while, and then eventually throwing it away. It is all behind the scenes digitally with the WD HDTV. Now if I could only convince my wife we need a new hard drive to store all these files on.

I personnaly want to see these two technologies work side by side. I still plan on buying new Blu-Ray discs. (Lost Season one and two is coming out soon on Blu-Ray.) But before a show is available in that format, I want to watch it shortly after its initial broadcast in the best quaility possible.

Western Digital definetly has a lead in the market I would imagine. It made quite the buzz when it first came out as it was quite the breakthru products. I just worry about others filling the technology void between your television and your computer, eliminating the need for a USB device. Which is ultimately what Western Digital wants to sell.

+Quote Post
    poopcicle
    post Apr 30 2009, 02:34 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 124

Wdtv has a bonus with its ease of use, cost and portability! Oppo digital is releasing their first blu ray player soon and it is an amazing box! I have an oppo now that upconverts my sd plays sacd/dvda via 7.1 analog outs and is divx ultra through a front usb port! the new blu bdp-83 builds on that and then some! (i will have one soon to give my ps3 a rest in game only land! ) http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/ . overall I think the wdtv can compete with the best of them, its a simple box that can be flashed to handle a small set of variables where as dvd players/game consoles and what not always have other facets and modes which complicate updates and quite often overshadow simple file compatibility! either way I love them all!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:45 AM