Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       NEW WDTV 2nd Generation?, Is this the new 2nd Gen WDTV? Pictures Included
    Charlie
    post Aug 29 2009, 08:33 PM
    Post #41

WDTV PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 1,386

Thanks neverlift.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 29 2009, 08:33 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    migraineboy
    post Aug 30 2009, 04:56 AM
    Post #42

WDTV USER

Member No.: 2,456

Wow!! I'll be in the USA 2 weeks from now. Do you guys think that it will be avaiable then?

+Quote Post
    Mike
    post Aug 30 2009, 04:24 PM
    Post #43

WDTV USER

Member No.: 490

QUOTE (Coleman @ Aug 17 2009, 10:02 PM) *
    I'll buy the new one and give or sell the old version to a friend or family member. I for one am very excited about this. I love the first generation WDTV and have no complaints, the G2 would just be purchased more for the cool factor of the networking ability.

me to my sister always wants to lend it, and bc its a gd price im albe to past it on easy n get the 2nd gen

+Quote Post
    The Fuzz
    post Sep 8 2009, 10:22 AM
    Post #44

WDTV USER

Member No.: 2,832

My 1st post here, so I will try and make it worth while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

My excitement about the release of the WDTV 2nd Gen is increasing by the day. I am such a fan of the 1st Gen that I actively sought out an receiver so as to experience the joys of DTS audio. Was so fed up of converting to AC3 which seems universal across the forum, which this 2nd Gen has remedied. Add to that the ethernet capabilities and the matt finish, you literally have a little gem of a device.

This may seem bizarre to many here, but I will be using the 2nd gen as a secondary device in my bedroom. The reason for this is due to the fact that I have now purchased an Onkyo Receiver, and have my external 1TB HDD hooked up to it, completing my setup with the 1st gen. It makes more sense to use this 2nd gen within my bedroom setup, due to the portable nature of the ethernet connection allowing you to stream via laptop for instance, and not requiring a digital receiver to handle the DTS audio, adding to a setup that I do not require in a bedroom.

Overall it's sounding like an incredible piece o fkit that I will be looking to get my hands on as soon as a snif fof availability becomes apparent.

Happy days look to be upon us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Sep 8 2009, 10:42 AM
    Post #45

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
    Member No.: 1

Hi The Fuzz, Welcome to the forums. No your idea is not bizarre, Im at this moment wiring my bedroom up for that little wdtv2 so its all ready on release day. Cant wait!

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    thomaslim
    post Sep 26 2009, 06:53 PM
    Post #46

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,546

QUOTE (neverlift @ Sep 8 2009, 11:42 AM) *
    Hi The Fuzz, Welcome to the forums. No your idea is not bizarre, Im at this moment wiring my bedroom up for that little wdtv2 so its all ready on release day. Cant wait!

Cheers!

Network support is great, but I expected wireless network!
    Wired ethernet is IMHO obsolete.
    Way too many cables in our homes already.
    Maybe WD TV3 has wireless ethernet?
    Or am I just expecting too much?

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Sep 26 2009, 08:13 PM
    Post #47

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

QUOTE (thomaslim @ Sep 26 2009, 07:53 PM) *
    Network support is great, but I expected wireless network!
    Wired ethernet is IMHO obsolete.
    Way too many cables in our homes already.
    Maybe WD TV3 has wireless ethernet?
    Or am I just expecting too much?

Hi, Heres my thoughts, 85% of the owners of a wireless network in their home really don't even have the speeds to handle a decent upload or a stream. I recently added more runs of cat5 cable throughout my home to accommodate more of my wireless devices to achieve faster and more stable speeds. You can currently run your own wireless adapter to the current wdtv, give it a try and see what speeds you achieve. There is no word of any WDTV3 release so we couldn't speculate on what it will feature. And never expect anything less than you feel you should be entitled to.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
    voltagex
    post Sep 26 2009, 11:10 PM
    Post #48

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,554

http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi...live&spos=1

It's not thaaaat hard to find (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Sep 26 2009, 11:21 PM
    Post #49

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

QUOTE (voltagex @ Sep 26 2009, 11:10 PM) *

Whats not hard to find?

+Quote Post
    si.wdtv
    post Oct 4 2009, 06:26 AM
    Post #50

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,869

Does anyone know if the addition of the network connection will allow for internet radio/music stations like last.fm to play through the interface?

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Oct 5 2009, 09:18 AM
    Post #51

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

QUOTE (si.wdtv @ Oct 4 2009, 07:26 AM) *
    Does anyone know if the addition of the network connection will allow for internet radio/music stations like last.fm to play through the interface?

On one description, all I see is that it says..."Play network and internet content " which I assume could mean that you can stream some internet radio etc...

Funny thing, I pre-ordered the new WDTV from Amazon last week, now the link I follow shows as no longer existing at Amazon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

My order still stands but, the link to the thing is gone. I'm not sure what that means.

+Quote Post
    RaffaGio
    post Oct 7 2009, 06:59 AM
    Post #52

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,455

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Aug 7 2009, 04:07 PM) *
    it's not a codec, it's a hardware decoder, if they could put it in firmware, the wdtv would already have it.

Are we sure that DTS is an hardware feature?

I have an HP Compaq nc8430 with Nero software. The player doesn't play DTS sound.
    I bought a software DTS tool for Nero Show Time and magically the DTS audio track is played through the notebook speakers.
    Don't know if it's a software downsample to 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Recently I got a Macbook Pro: with VLC (VideoLan) I can ear the DTS audio track through the notebook speakers.
    With Apple DVD player I can't reproduce the DTS track; Apple DVD player is supposed (reading Mac user forums) to be able to pass the digital signal to a DTS-capable hw amplifier.

So I suppose that DTS decoding is a software feature.

Please let me know your opinions.

RafFagio

+Quote Post
    PangaDayWalker
    post Oct 9 2009, 06:36 AM
    Post #53

WDTV Mod

Member No.: 934

QUOTE (RaffaGio @ Oct 7 2009, 09:59 AM) *
    Are we sure that DTS is an hardware feature?

I have an HP Compaq nc8430 with Nero software. The player doesn't play DTS sound.
    I bought a software DTS tool for Nero Show Time and magically the DTS audio track is played through the notebook speakers.
    Don't know if it's a software downsample to 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Recently I got a Macbook Pro: with VLC (VideoLan) I can ear the DTS audio track through the notebook speakers.
    With Apple DVD player I can't reproduce the DTS track; Apple DVD player is supposed (reading Mac user forums) to be able to pass the digital signal to a DTS-capable hw amplifier.

So I suppose that DTS decoding is a software feature.

Please let me know your opinions.

RafFagio

It can be done thru hardware and software.

Another decoder for DD and DTS is the AC3Filter. Free.

But usually big companies like WD will not have anything free.

There is also huge royalties. And the price that the unit is sold cannot afford this kind of feature.

+Quote Post
    BruceM
    post Oct 11 2009, 10:37 PM
    Post #54

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 3,735

Just FYI, this place apparently has a few hundred units of the new WD HD Live in stock. I just ordered one as I'm not sure what's up with Amazon - they are no longer listing the item at all. For the record I do not work for this online retailer, I've never used them before, and I am certainly not speaking on their behalf - just letting you know I found that they claim to have a few hundred in stock, and for $116.37 per unit (good price I think). I've never even heard of this Provantage.com before, but it looks fairly reputable I suppose. Who knows. We'll see...

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Oct 11 2009, 10:40 PM
    Post #55

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

Thanks Bruce, The thing that worries me about this site is they show the previous WDTV in the picture.

+Quote Post
    BruceM
    post Oct 11 2009, 11:25 PM
    Post #56

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 3,735

QUOTE (neverlift @ Oct 11 2009, 11:40 PM) *
    Thanks Bruce, The thing that worries me about this site is they show the previous WDTV in the picture.

Yeah I noticed that, but the description is unambiguous. And quite frankly they look a lot alike from the front. If it's not the right one, I'll certainly return it (and do a charge-back if necessary).

+Quote Post
    hackman2007
    post Oct 12 2009, 06:01 PM
    Post #57

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,216

Buy.com appears to have it as well. Slightly higher price though at $137.

But it is a more reputable seller (I've personally purchased from them).

Best Buy also has it, for $120 ($126.49 after shipping here) Here, but you have to pay shipping.

+Quote Post
    Mike Des
    post Oct 15 2009, 05:04 PM
    Post #58

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,421

QUOTE (feidhlim1986 @ Aug 12 2009, 07:27 PM) *
    I will definitely upgrade for the Ethernet & DTS Support. Hope they beef up the processor so Artwork loads quicker.

I have two of the first generation WD TVs. I Just purchased two WD TV 2s at Newegg on two separte orders (listed for 119.00 each). Applied this coupon code from Logicbuy.com (EMCHDD10C) which took an additional 10.00 off each. After shipping they came to 111.98 each. The coupon is only good until the 17th.

Hope its worth it.

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Oct 16 2009, 01:33 PM
    Post #59

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

QUOTE (Mike Des @ Oct 15 2009, 05:04 PM) *
    I have two of the first generation WD TVs. I Just purchased two WD TV 2s at Newegg on two separte orders (listed for 119.00 each). Applied this coupon code from Logicbuy.com (EMCHDD10C) which took an additional 10.00 off each. After shipping they came to 111.98 each. The coupon is only good until the 17th.

Hope its worth it.

That's a pretty nice price! Just canceled the Amazon order and used you coupon @ Newegg.

Amazon has the things listed again now, with a much better description as well.

Looks like the thing is going to stream. Live365, Youtube, Flickr and Pandora.
    I can't wait to get the thing and see how it works.

Thanks for the deal!

+Quote Post
    neverlift
    post Oct 16 2009, 01:35 PM
    Post #60

WDTV Live X3
    Group Icon

QUOTE (TXmike @ Oct 16 2009, 01:33 PM) *
    That's a pretty price!

Amazon has the things listed again now, with a much better description as well.

Looks like the thing is going to stream. Live365, Youtube, Flickr and Pandora.
    I can't wait to get the thing and see how it works.

Hey TXMike go buy one BestBuy has 'em for sale now. They do stream Youtube flickr and Pandora very nicely too. Get out of the house now and go get one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
    Cheers!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 04:05 PM