Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Experimenting with playing ISO files
    thx0849
    post Sep 8 2009, 09:16 PM
    Post #21

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 2,671

Hello I'm new to the forum but i have to get mt 2 cents in as to the .iso file thing. I first got the unit and tried the included software but was unhappy with its visual and audio quality I then spent a week or so and many hours trying different rippers,converters etc. before coming along with this forum. I am using Ashampoo free that i got from download.com and AnyDvd from Slysoft. I simply create an iso file of the dvd and transfer it to my external drive and it plays all my discs flawlessly including dolby and dts to my receiver.The video is exactly as a dvd player puts out as verified by playing the same movie from the wdtv and through my Samsung bd-p1600 player. I would like to create some smaller files but not at the expense of having to use 2 or 3 programs to do it and deffinitely not when i lose image or sound quality.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Sep 8 2009, 09:16 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    jeff.petersen
    post Sep 10 2009, 11:08 AM
    Post #22

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 2,794

MakeMKV rips the MPEG-2 video from the DVD and places it inside a MKV file container. There is no transcoding, so no quality loss. The files will be considerably smaller than most ISO images because you will remove menus, extras, and unnecessary audio tracks (other languages and commentaries). You don't need any additional software to do this, and they play very well in the WDTV, or using Mplayer (or CCCP codec pack + Windows Media player) on the computer.

regards

+Quote Post
    ToJa92
    post Sep 10 2009, 01:38 PM
    Post #23

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 1,257

QUOTE (jeff.petersen @ Sep 10 2009, 07:08 PM) *
    (or CCCP codec pack + Windows Media player) on the computer.

Off-topic:
    Why not Media Player Classic - Home Cinema(which comes included with CCCP)? Much lighter, nicer look(according to me) and also no unnecesary features, compared to Windows Media Player. Of course I don't use it often(since I have a WDTV), but it's still great.

+Quote Post
    Sander Bons
    post Sep 11 2009, 07:53 AM
    Post #24

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 2,913

I'm gonna try Make MKV also.. looks like a great tool to convert my dvd's too MKV...!

+Quote Post
    campbellmack
    post Sep 11 2009, 07:35 PM
    Post #25

WDTV USER

Member No.: 2,968

QUOTE (jeff.petersen @ Sep 10 2009, 11:08 AM) *
    MakeMKV rips the MPEG-2 video from the DVD and places it inside a MKV file container. There is no transcoding, so no quality loss. The files will be considerably smaller than most ISO images because you will remove menus, extras, and unnecessary audio tracks (other languages and commentaries). You don't need any additional software to do this, and they play very well in the WDTV, or using Mplayer (or CCCP codec pack + Windows Media player) on the computer.

regards

Don't forget that creating ISO files using tools like DVD Shrink also allow you to reduce file size by getting rid of menus and extras. I haven't tried the MKV format (I have my entire collection as ISOs), but I see from some quick googling that you can have subtitle streams. That's a big requirement for me, so maybe I'll give that format a go.

Anyway, I registered on this forum to add my voice regarding the strange ISO problem. I have converted my entire library of DVDs (about 300 discs including box sets) using DVD Shrink to ISO format. Of this number I have about 20 discs that give the 'unsupported format' error msg.

I have tried 're-shrinking' the offending discs but to no avail. I have also upgraded to latest firmware - no change.

I will do some more testing and research and post any progress here. It's very frustrating not being able to put my finger on the problem. I suspect - as someone above said - that it is a bug with the player itself. But hopefully we can find a workaround. Other than this issue, my WD Media player has been fantastic.

+Quote Post
    campbellmack
    post Sep 12 2009, 02:50 AM
    Post #26

WDTV USER

Member No.: 2,968

Just an update, I've messed around with MKV files and found them to be superior and hassle-free compared to ISOs. I can create MKV files from DVD that are slightly smaller than the equivalent ISO and I don't lose subtitles and GAIN the ability to navigate via chapters - something that didn't seem to work with ISOs. Another benefit is that MKV files are easily played on the PC as well as through the WD player.

So while I don't have a solution for the ISO problem, the end result is that I've discovered a much better file format to use. And the best thing of all is that I can just convert my existing ISO collection to MKV rather than having to dig out hundreds of DVDs again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    crueress
    post Sep 21 2009, 09:28 AM
    Post #27

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,327

QUOTE (JustSumGuy @ Aug 25 2009, 10:18 PM) *
    Thanks again, DvDrmann! As I indicated above, your thinking and mine seems to run along the same tracks, especially in regards to dual-layer source DVD issues and layer breaks. Like you, some ISOs made from dual-layer source DVDs will play on the WDTV, but very, very few of them in my experience. But how a layer break might cause problems on a device like the WDTV in which the very concept of a layer break is utterly meaningless would border on the mystical and hence must not be involved at all, as your own testing indicates. So the mystery of just what's causing the problems we're seeing remains unsolved.

As for dual-layer DVDs with a lot of episodes on them, I'm seeing problems with many of them -- such as with Battlestar Galactica -- that only have a few episodes on them. In fact, the worst problem I have is with BSG's Razor DVD, which has only one episode and which simply will NOT play properly on my WD TV either in ISO or in DVD folder format! The glitches are terrible and make it entirely unwatchable.

So I did another experiment: I wrote both the ISO -and- the DVD folder versions of Razor back to blank dual-layer DVD discs, and lo and behold, they both play perfectly that way! This proves beyond all doubt that the problems so many of us are encountering with our WD TV's are completely due to bugs in the WD TV player itself. I can see no other logical alternative. Can you?

I have experienced similar problems. My recorded dl .iso's seem to play just fine except there are no menus and episodic iso's always play the last episode but have the same lack of menus. I can take the hdd back to the computer and using powerdvd they play just fine complete with menus.

+Quote Post
    nerdvana
    post Sep 22 2009, 09:03 AM
    Post #28

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,372

QUOTE (campbellmack @ Sep 12 2009, 04:50 AM) *
    Just an update, I've messed around with MKV files and found them to be superior and hassle-free compared to ISOs. I can create MKV files from DVD that are slightly smaller than the equivalent ISO and I don't lose subtitles and GAIN the ability to navigate via chapters - something that didn't seem to work with ISOs. Another benefit is that MKV files are easily played on the PC as well as through the WD player.

So while I don't have a solution for the ISO problem, the end result is that I've discovered a much better file format to use. And the best thing of all is that I can just convert my existing ISO collection to MKV rather than having to dig out hundreds of DVDs again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks for the info - can you elaborate on what tool(s) you use to convert your ISO's to MKV? I've tried MKVMerge GUI (Windows) on ISO's created via DVDShrink (DVD9 compressed down to DVD5), and it fails with audio errors every time.

+Quote Post
    jeff.petersen
    post Sep 22 2009, 09:53 AM
    Post #29

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (nerdvana @ Sep 22 2009, 10:03 AM) *
    Thanks for the info - can you elaborate on what tool(s) you use to convert your ISO's to MKV?

MakeMKV, see above, post #22.

+Quote Post
    pjgood
    post Sep 22 2009, 07:17 PM
    Post #30

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,395

Hi I'm a new WDTV user and having similar problems to most people on this thread...some iso files not playing on the WDTV (dvds with multiple episodes) but fine on the computer.
    Have just downloaded makemkv, thanks for that recommendation Jeff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
    Has worked well on all except one dvd which I copied straight from the disk. It seems to have copied only the special features, not the main feature. During the process it didn't allow me to select specific titles as only one title appeared (which must just be the special features). Any ideas?
    Thx!

+Quote Post
    jeff.petersen
    post Sep 23 2009, 01:42 PM
    Post #31

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (pjgood @ Sep 22 2009, 09:17 PM) *
    Has worked well on all except one dvd which I copied straight from the disk. It seems to have copied only the special features, not the main feature. During the process it didn't allow me to select specific titles as only one title appeared (which must just be the special features). Any ideas?

Seems like it's having trouble crawling the file structure on that DVD. It is still in heavy development afaik, so weird troubles can occur. You may want to try another software to rip the DVD to the hard drive first, then load the VIDEO_TS folder in MakeMKV. Which ripping software you use depends on your OS. I have had good luck with using DVDfab HD Decrypter (Windows) for DVDs that MakeMKV balks at. The free version is all you'll need, and you can rip just the main movie and audio tracks that you want with this one too.

+Quote Post
    Derelict_Drvr
    post Sep 26 2009, 11:05 PM
    Post #32

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,427

I too prefer MKV's over ISO, but I have made a few ISO's just to test. What I used to create my ISO files was AnyDVD and either DVDdecryter or IMGBurn. I have ripped main movie only and never had a problem. I am still using FW 1.02.07. ISO's ripped this way keep all the audio and subtitle tracks.

I too quickly gave up on the file conversion software that came with my WDTV. I purchased an inexpensive program called FairUse. I use it to rip to a h.264 codec in an AVI container. I also extract the .sub subtitle file and then use MKVmerge to mux into an MKV container with the subtitle files. Makes the subtitle selectable. You can also use Subrip to extract the subtitle to .srt that, to me, looks better.

+Quote Post
    Bongu
    post Jan 22 2010, 03:41 PM
    Post #33

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,608

Reviving an old topic. I've posted this on other boards but have yet to get an answer.

I seem to be having a similar problem to the one discussed here and was wondering if there was ever a resolution. The problem I have deals specifically with the movie Toy Story and any of the 3 Star Wars prequels (I haven't tried the other 3 SW movies). The stuttering occurs when the opening credits start. In Toy Story, it is a few minutes into the movie but with SW it starts at the "A Long Time Ago..." screen. What is weird with the SW movies is that a foreign language flickers back and forth with the English words.

Somebody else on another board had the exact same problem with Toy Story and with the SW movies, both the stuttering and the foreign language. These problems happen regardless if I rip the ISO or the Video_TS files.

Any ideas about what is causing this and how to fix it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

+Quote Post
    Bongu
    post Jan 23 2010, 01:21 PM
    Post #34

WDTV USER

Member No.: 11,608

In case anybody else has the same issue as I did, you can find the answer at this thread where I asked the same question:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....=1#post17987548

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jan 23 2010, 04:41 PM
    Post #35

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

@Bongu: So the solution you finally arrived at at that other forum was this?

Thanks. I converted the problematic DVDs using MakeMKV and as you said, the problem seems to be fixed.

Did you even bother to read this thread? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
    jofas
    post Jan 18 2012, 12:56 PM
    Post #36

WDTV USER

Member No.: 102,036

QUOTE (turtleshead666 @ Aug 21 2009, 12:52 PM) *
    Hi guys just to fill you in, i made an image of mysterious cities of gold, it worked fine then i went to show my brother and it came up with the iso is not supported error message.
    cant understand why it worked one minute and now doesnt strange. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

That is exactly the same series I'm trying to watch with my WDTV!

If I may add, the DVDs I burn from said ISO files play just fine in both my standalone dvd player *and* in a usb DVD drive attached to WDTV!?!?!

Also, all DVDs show up as mounted folders on WDTV, I just select the first VOB and the disc plays as though it were in a standalone player, menus included! It seems that the DVD functionality itself is fine on the device, but how it handles the mounted ISO file is the issue?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:58 PM