Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Pixelation Problems - (Greens & Greys)!!
    seanjackdan
    post Aug 19 2009, 07:31 AM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 1,930

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me.

I have noticed that when watching various BRRips (H264 MP4 files) via my WDTV player, where there are scenes of green / dark grey, the pixelation is really bad, and there are loads of tiny square blocks, and the picture seems to break up slightly.

I have played around with different resolutions in the settings menu, but this doesn't seem to make any difference.

It must be the player though, as if I watch the film through my laptop connected to my 42'' toshiba lcd (just by connecting it with a standard VGA to VGA cable, so therefore not HD), then the picture is fine. It is also fine when just watching directly on the laptop as well - no pixelation problems at all.

Any ideas, as this is really frustrating,and I defintely don't believe it is the quality or encoding of the BRRip.

Kind Regards....

Sean !! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Aug 19 2009, 07:31 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    ToJa92
    post Aug 19 2009, 01:07 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 1,257

If they are not native 1920x1080, the WDTV(or maybe your TV, Im not really sure), will scale up the picture. Try using 720P mode over HDMI and see if it makes any difference.

+Quote Post
    seanjackdan
    post Aug 20 2009, 12:37 AM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (ToJa92 @ Aug 19 2009, 10:07 PM) *
    If they are not native 1920x1080, the WDTV(or maybe your TV, Im not really sure), will scale up the picture. Try using 720P mode over HDMI and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the reply, but I have already tried 720p setting resolution, using HDMI connection, and it doesn't seem to make any difference!

Any other thoughts anybody...please help, as there must be a logical reason ?

Sean (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    ToJa92
    post Aug 20 2009, 06:03 AM
    Post #4

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 1,257

How big are the blu-ray rips? I have a rip which is ~8 GB and it looks quite nice(read no blocks or anything).

+Quote Post
    seanjackdan
    post Aug 20 2009, 08:29 AM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

QUOTE (ToJa92 @ Aug 20 2009, 03:03 PM) *
    How big are the blu-ray rips? I have a rip which is ~8 GB and it looks quite nice(read no blocks or anything).

Hi, they are only about 1.5 or 2.2 gb brrip's, but as I stated in my original post, they are PERFECT when played directly on my laptop, or via VGA fed to my 42'' lcd - no pixelation problems there at all - I have compared them in depth.....only pixelating on WD TV player!!!

Very frustrating...

Sean ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

(somebody else has EXACTLY the same problem as me also, I read elsewhere on the 'net today)

+Quote Post
    Sander Bons
    post Sep 11 2009, 07:57 AM
    Post #6

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 2,913

This is i think the same problem described in the topic: Video Noise. I have this problem also. I played with my tv settings and i is al little bit better, but the noise is still there. I think it is a problem with the player or the processor. Think we have to live with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Maybe you can try The Mist (2007) mkv, during the movie when they are in the mist ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) u see a lot of noise on the screen.

+Quote Post
    PangaDayWalker
    post Sep 16 2009, 12:55 PM
    Post #7

WDTV Mod

Member No.: 934

QUOTE (Sander Bons @ Sep 11 2009, 10:57 AM) *
    This is i think the same problem described in the topic: Video Noise. I have this problem also. I played with my tv settings and i is al little bit better, but the noise is still there. I think it is a problem with the player or the processor. Think we have to live with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Maybe you can try The Mist (2007) mkv, during the movie when they are in the mist ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) u see a lot of noise on the screen.

It is not noise. It is called GRAIN. And this happens due to the way the movie is shooted.

Computer does not happen because most players have filters.

But on my desktop if I put more brightness I can also see the GRAIN.

Also, 2.2GB is too small. It might have a very strong compact in the file. Try to download files over 4GB to see if this happens as well.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 16 2009, 01:38 PM
    Post #8

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

QUOTE (seanjackdan @ Aug 20 2009, 11:29 AM) *
    Hi, they are only about 1.5 or 2.2 gb brrip's, but as I stated in my original post, they are PERFECT when played directly on my laptop, or via VGA fed to my 42'' lcd - no pixelation problems there at all - I have compared them in depth.....only pixelating on WD TV player!!!

Very frustrating...

Sean ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

(somebody else has EXACTLY the same problem as me also, I read elsewhere on the 'net today)

exactly what is said above, the fie is to small, it has been compressed to much, you are asking to much of any media player to play it perfectly on a TV.

not the player, the file you are playing...

+Quote Post
    PangaDayWalker
    post Sep 16 2009, 05:05 PM
    Post #9

WDTV Mod

Member No.: 934

QUOTE (Rev Drew @ Sep 16 2009, 04:38 PM) *
    exactly what is said above, the fie is to small, it has been compressed to much, you are asking to much of any media player to play it perfectly on a TV.

not the player, the file you are playing...

Try to get files with more then 5MB as video bitrate. You will see a huge difference.

+Quote Post
    navysaj
    post Jan 13 2011, 05:48 AM
    Post #10

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 38,183

My 15GB+ Avatar has got the same problem. its a 1080p Rip. Playing from Toshiba Laptop over HDMI to LCD.. looks nice... no problem at all... but directly from WD.. lots of pixels.. breaking the pics.. i don't 'no why???

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Jan 13 2011, 08:14 AM
    Post #11

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

my avatar is 34GB and it looks amazing and plays perfectly.
    it is a 1080 rip as well

your laptop is using a software player which can easily fill in voids and make corrections on the fly.
    the wdtv media player is a hardware player and it outputs exactly what it sees, so garbage in = garbage out
    they cannot be compared to a computer and software players, they are not even close to being similar.

I'm not saying your copy of avatar is bad, BUT, for a movie with such amazing special effects and the length of it, 15GB sounds to small for a good 1080 rip.
    there is also a 23GB release of avatar that plays very well, I have it for my gen1 player and it's fine..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:29 PM