Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV DNS Issue
    xeyes
    post Oct 14 2009, 08:33 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Validating
    Member No.: 4,087

So, I was having trouble with my WDTV not coming out back from the screen saver and then taking at least 1 minute to move through each menu option so I went to return it low and behold the WD TV Live's were on the shelves so I 'upgraded'. Love the new options they have listed in the manual and despite not thinking it would be worth it, the built in network adapter really looks to be worth it. I am having trouble with the DNS server though and wondered if anyone with networking abilities might be able to help me out. I am connecting the WD TV Live direct to my wireless router through one of the LAN connections. I have specified an IP address that doesn't conflict with any of my statis wireless IP address's and I have set my DNS and Default Gateway IP address's to be that of the router. However, when I go to check my connection the IP address is fine but it comes up with an error on the DNS server. Any thoughts as to how to get around this?
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 14 2009, 08:33 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    mikl5150
    post Oct 15 2009, 05:24 AM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 4,384

same dns error here

please help

+Quote Post
    ataa
    post Oct 15 2009, 06:19 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Member No.: 3,365

Try opendns IPs :

+Quote Post
    mikl5150
    post Oct 15 2009, 07:01 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,384

QUOTE (ataa @ Oct 15 2009, 07:19 AM) *
    Try opendns IPs :

I tried 4.2.2.2 (also open dns server)
    and received same DNS error
    It's strange -- when I m connecting via wireless (with usb wireless adapter) everything is working with local dns (192.168.1.1) and open dns (4.2.2.2).
    but when I connect my WD HD Live to router via network cable - I get DNS error .

+Quote Post
    xeyes
    post Oct 18 2009, 05:30 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Group: Validating
    Member No.: 4,087

Anyone found anything else on this? I am totally stumped. Can manually enter the info into my laptop and it connects fine, but not so with the WDTV Live. Did I get a dud, or is it my router?

+Quote Post
    anakletor
    post Nov 19 2009, 03:27 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,569

Same problem here.

When I started the WD for the first time I got the message that a new firmware was available. I chose to install it so WD connected to the server, downloaded annd installed the new firmware (1.01.11) which obviously means that the network was working fine. The WD restarted automatically and since then it has been a nightmare. It says "Incorrect DNS server address" when I check connection. I am starting to get mad... No matter what I do it won't work. I have even connected the WD directly to the cable modem (instead of through router) and still it doesnt help. Man this sucks.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 19 2009, 10:59 AM
    Post #7

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,689

Have you tried it both with Automatic and Manual and neither work for you?

x2 on OpenDNS. Try using 208.67.222.222 for your DNS server. I had to use that when setting up the WDTV Live for someone. They had a cheap DLink router.

+Quote Post
    wforceduser
    post Nov 28 2009, 10:27 PM
    Post #8

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 965

QUOTE (Mikael @ Nov 19 2009, 10:59 AM) *
    Have you tried it both with Automatic and Manual and neither work for you?

x2 on OpenDNS. Try using 208.67.222.222 for your DNS server. I had to use that when setting up the WDTV Live for someone. They had a cheap DLink router.

I never entered anything, it just found its own via dhcp

+Quote Post
    JayBee
    post Nov 29 2009, 03:03 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,013

I Had a similar problem with the DNS error.
    No matter what I did, it would not work.
    Automatic failed to retrieve a valid IP etc.
    Manual settings said they connected but the "Check Connectivity" failed with a DNS error.

SOLVED

1. Upgrade the firmware on my WDTV Live.
    2. Upgrade Modem / Router firmware.
    Still didn't work. Reset my modem / router. Still didn't work.
    3. Factory Reset my modem / router and setup the wireless network from scratch (only 5 mins). Remember that this resets your login name and password, so check the default settings before you select this option (mine was admin / admin)
    And it still didn't work - with the auto connect wizard.
    But it did work when I manually setup the IP (192.168.1.33 - unique for me, having restricted DHCP to 32 and below), Gateway (255.255.255.0 same as my wireless settings), DNS (192.168.1.1 same as my router), WINS (192.168.1.1 same again).
    The connect checked out OK and I was able to begin browsing the net.

So, that was my experience ... and I'll take a win whenever I can get it thank you.

+Quote Post
    meero
    post Jan 13 2010, 06:52 AM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 10,985

QUOTE (xeyes @ Oct 15 2009, 01:33 AM) *
    So, I was having trouble with my WDTV not coming out back from the screen saver and then taking at least 1 minute to move through each menu option so I went to return it low and behold the WD TV Live's were on the shelves so I 'upgraded'. Love the new options they have listed in the manual and despite not thinking it would be worth it, the built in network adapter really looks to be worth it. I am having trouble with the DNS server though and wondered if anyone with networking abilities might be able to help me out. I am connecting the WD TV Live direct to my wireless router through one of the LAN connections. I have specified an IP address that doesn't conflict with any of my statis wireless IP address's and I have set my DNS and Default Gateway IP address's to be that of the router. However, when I go to check my connection the IP address is fine but it comes up with an error on the DNS server. Any thoughts as to how to get around this?

Have the same problem. Just found the cause; heat sensitive network hardware! To confirm if this is your problem too, try putting you WDTV in a plastic bag in the fridge for half-and-hour.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
    jklobo
    post Jan 14 2010, 01:36 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,512

This makes perfect sense! Every time it works, it is the first time it is powered up, and after a few minutes the network functionality all but dies until I give up and try again two hours later.

Now the question is, does WD know about this heat issue and furthermore, are they prepared for sh*t load of RMA's.

On a side note, this calls for someone to install a PC northbridge fan over the network chip and then post instructions.

+Quote Post
    Sinister
    post May 18 2010, 01:49 PM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 19,109

Just solved mine!

Mine worked flawlessly, until I unplugged the device and plugged it back in. Never worked again, and even WDTV tech support said to return the unit.

DNS and Gateway both said 0.0.0.0 and the IP address gave me a random address that didn't even match the numbering scheme of my router.

I did notice that my Macbook Pro still "showed" the WDTV Live under the network, so I theorized that the router had somehow maintained the MAC address of the WDTV Live as registered with its DHCP. So I resent the touter, and walla, it works now.

+Quote Post
    bebopblues
    post Dec 23 2010, 03:25 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 35,011

Just picked up the WDTV Live Plus from Best Buy and it seems to suffer the same heating issue. I wasted a couple of hours of swapping cat5 cables, reseting the router, and messing with the DNS settings. Nothing seem to fix the DNS problem. So I went to this forum and found this thread. I put the WDTV in the freezer for 10 minutes, then power it up and the network works. It automatically found the new firmware, so I'm upgrading it now. If the heat issue happens again, I'm gonna return it to best buy for a different unit. Heck, I might just exchange it tomorrow anyway. This is just ridiculous.

+Quote Post
    sviatapolk
    post Jan 1 2011, 09:11 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 36,255

OK I'm having similar issues, and I'm getting frustrated. Here's the situation:

Bought a WD Live Plus and a compatible usb dongle. It won't connect via wifi to my router. If I have it set up automatically, it finds the network, accepts the password, but it can't get an IP address, and it returns the message that I have limited or no connectivity.

It's not the dongle: I successfully tethered the WD to my phone by creating a wifi hotspot. It worked fine. I was able to get online.

It's not the router: I connected via ethernet and had no trouble. I successfully updated the firmware.

When I tried manual configuration (using the standard dns codes and the open ones suggested above), and then run the network settings test, I get "invalid dns" error.

Any ideas?

+Quote Post
    srbm
    post Jan 3 2011, 04:57 AM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 35,926

I'm experiencing the same issue as sviatapolk with my WDTV Live HD. One additional thing that I noticed is that once I've tried logging in, on the network set up screen it shows my SSID name for 1-3s then it disappears. The signal strength similarly shows 4 bars when the SSID name is visible then only 3 when it is not. The IP address, subnet mask, Gateway and DNS are all set at 0.0.0.0 by the box.

I hope that these symptoms might help someone with more experience in these things identify the problem.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Should this be under a separate topic?

+Quote Post
    towser
    post Jul 31 2011, 04:44 AM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

Member No.: 72,581

I have had the same DNS Error problems. I tried the freezer cooling and the opendns without any success

[SOLVED]

I sorted it by creating the wireless connection automatically.
    Then I went back in and manually updated the gateway and dns to match the ip address of the router (so 192.168.1.1 in my case).

I also reserved 192.168.1.015 in the dhcp settings of the router and ensured that the wdtv had this as the ip address.

everything worked immediately after this.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 08:24 AM