Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Hulu
    xeyes
    post Oct 17 2009, 05:51 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Validating
    Member No.: 4,087

I think it would be awesome if they added access to Hulu on the WDTV Live. YouTube is great and all, but adding Hulu I think would allow for that much more for watching online content.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 17 2009, 05:51 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    dsimages
    post Oct 18 2009, 02:46 PM
    Post #2

WDTV PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 3,512

QUOTE (xeyes @ Oct 17 2009, 07:51 PM) *
    I think it would be awesome if they added access to Hulu on the WDTV Live. YouTube is great and all, but adding Hulu I think would allow for that much more for watching online content.

You can access hulu now. You need Playon or Tverse. those programs act like a media server and will stream the content from the website, through your computer and then to the media player.

Dowload one of the programs, enter in all your hulu/netflix/amazon/espn/cnn....ect... acount settings. Then you would access it in the wdtv under Video/mediaservers/playon.

Your wish has been granted....

+Quote Post
    dsimages
    post Oct 18 2009, 02:47 PM
    Post #3

WDTV PRO

QUOTE (xeyes @ Oct 17 2009, 07:51 PM) *

You can access hulu now. You need Playon or Tverse. those programs act like a media server and will stream the content from the website, through your computer and then to the media player.

Dowload one of the programs, enter in all your hulu/netflix/amazon/espn/cnn....ect... acount settings. Then you would access it in the wdtv under Video/mediaservers/playon.

+Quote Post
    Jermsb
    post Oct 20 2009, 05:48 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,709

QUOTE (dsimages @ Oct 18 2009, 12:47 PM) *

Nice! I'll be trying this out tonight as i was wondering about Hulu as well. Thanks for the info dsimages

+Quote Post
    xeyes
    post Oct 20 2009, 09:11 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Group: Validating
    Member No.: 4,087

Awesome!! thanks for the info.

Is Playon better and worth the price, or is Tverse better?

+Quote Post
    dsimages
    post Oct 23 2009, 01:00 PM
    Post #6

WDTV PRO

Playon is easier to setup (imo). They both work the say. I would say try both and see which you like. There are others out there as well but these two seem to be the most popular.

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Oct 23 2009, 05:34 PM
    Post #7

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

Good luck with Tversity. If I ever get anything to stream it normally doesn't have sound. I have been able to setup an online radio stream with Tversity but, that's about it.

No problems with Playon so far, I haven't had a great deal of luck watching Netflix content on with Playon yet. It'll start but it stutters terribly.

I found Tversity sometimes takes control over the PC it's on and won't give up system resources. It maxes out CPU at 100% when it shouldn't be doing anything.

Obviously, YMMV

+Quote Post
    uconn0404
    post Oct 31 2009, 01:43 PM
    Post #8

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,461

Hulu should still be integrated like Youtube. I'm streaming videos and music from a NAS and it would be great to not have to turn on a computer to stream Hulu.

+Quote Post
    wrab
    post Nov 1 2009, 10:29 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,504

QUOTE (dsimages @ Oct 18 2009, 03:46 PM) *

Both Playon (works fine) and Tverse cost extra $$$. Having hulu integrated would save money and eliminate the PC.

+Quote Post
    MikeM
    post Dec 15 2009, 06:20 PM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,425

Under Tversity, you have to pre-select the site's files you want to play from the PC before being able to play them with LIVE..
    If done natively on the LIVE as with Youtube, you should be able to search and select items for playback real time on the WD Live.

+Quote Post
    nextract
    post Jan 2 2010, 08:49 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 10,206

Its unlikely that will happen with current hardware, Hulu uses flash and its very cpu intensive hardly something the WDTV's limited resources could handle at this time. The only reason youtube can be integrated is because they have servers side mp4 encoding enabled for mobile phone access and thats what the WDTV accesses. Flash is the big issue for both Hulu Netflix and CBS/ABC/NBC etc its just not feasible with the unit. PlayOn and TVersity encode the videos to another format on the fly and then stream them to the WDTV, this is the only way currently that allows access to these sites.

Sorry, but its bad news on the HULU side of things.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 04:21 AM