Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Networking to the WDTV Live using a Wireless Repeater Bridge
    JPDSPDBFD
    post Oct 19 2009, 08:34 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 4,473

Although it took 2 days of troubleshooting, I was finally able to take a linksys router (wrt54g) I had sitting in the basement, flash it, and used DD-WRT software on it. Using the DD-WRT schematic and directions I was able to create a wireless repeater bridge with it. This wireless repeater bridge actually gives me use of the 4 ports on the back of the linksys router as if it were hard-wired to the network.

I then connected wireless repeater bridge to the WDTV Live and voila!! I selected automatic setup and tested the connection. ALL GREEN! Hooray. I have access to the network resources.

Made sure I set the settings on the computer to share the files I wanted to access and I had no problems.

I now also have access to YOUTUBE, etc. on the WDTV Live with no problem.

(IMG:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/images/9/9b/Repeater_Bridge.jpg)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 19 2009, 08:34 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Oct 21 2009, 12:11 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

Thanks for the tip.
    I was just recently trying to use the WRT54G for this exact purpose but, with the factory firmware.....that was a no-go. You could bridge either wired or wireless but never both.
    Flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware and followed the steps and it works perfectly!

Wish I would have known about this beautiful software sooner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    seedubxj
    post Feb 22 2010, 06:30 PM
    Post #3

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 6,784

I have this same setup right now and I am having a few issues.

I can see my Media Server (Playback) and my shared drives (my desktop).

However, when I try to play a movie, I get a spinning wheel that never stops.

Not sure whats wrong.

Also, I can see the WDTV in the finder window (Mac OSX Leopard), so I know I have a solid connection. I can also transfer files from my desktop to an attached hard drive that is plugged into the WDTV.

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
    darkphantom
    post Aug 27 2010, 05:27 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,588

Ok, so when it comes to networking, you can say I'm a noob to an extent since I've never used DD-WRT.

I did get it installed, however, what I want to know is, how can I use a my old WRT54G router as a repeater, if my primary router does not have DD-WRT on it? It is a netgear N300 router.

Is my understanding correct that the repeating router just needs a power adapter? It automatically picks up the signal and repeats it?

Thanks in advanced!

I just got the WDTV Live Plus, and I had the WRT54G lying around, so I want to make this work before having to spend more money.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 01:12 PM