Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WDTV Live Component Video Problem
    rustyfence
    post Oct 30 2009, 06:53 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 5,366

Hi - I am having a problem with trying to use the WDTV component output with my (CRT) TV, which supports component input.

I have run through all the component output options (resolutions and frequencies) available in the WDTV Live setup options, but all I can get is a mis-synced picture with a double image or no image at all.

The TV component input works perfectly with every other component device I have (DVD, digital set top box) ... just not the WDTV Live. And I also tested with a second WDTV Live with the same problem occurring.

Any ideas??

Thanks
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Oct 30 2009, 06:53 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WebSpyderz
    post Nov 3 2009, 06:09 PM
    Post #2

WDTV USER

Member No.: 5,636

I have no idea because I can't see your setup but are you sure you're not confusing component and composite? Using the component cables going into a composite input and vice versa will cause the issue you describe.

If possible, take a picture of the back of your unit with the cables plugged in and a picture of the tv connection and I'll see if maybe I can help once I see what you mean.

Good luck either way!

+Quote Post
    rustyfence
    post Nov 4 2009, 05:14 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

Thanks for the advice. I have triple checked and definitely have component output connected to component input on the TV, and component selected on the WDTV Live setup menu ... resulting in no stable picture.

Unfortunately the only way I can get a picture is to connect composite output to composite input on the TV.

+Quote Post
    Nex
    post Nov 4 2009, 05:01 PM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 5,695

Hi. I have the exact same problem.

I have a Phillips DWIDE widescreen 28" CRT TV. Component (Blue/Green/Red) input works fine with my DVD player (Sony) but I get a blank screen with the WD TV Live.

I know the media player is working fine cause I tested it with my component input on a Dell 2707WFP monitor and works brilliantly.

My guess is that the media player only outputs progressive resolutions (i.e. 480p/576p/720p etc) while my TV does not supports this, only interlaced resolutions (i.e. 480i or 576i).

If they add this functionality in a future firmware revision I can rested it.

Unfortunately, like you, I am limited to the crappy composite connection.

+Quote Post
    rustyfence
    post Nov 4 2009, 11:07 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Thanks nex, good to know its not just me. For information - my TV is a Samsung 26", so it looks like it is not a brand specific problem.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 5 2009, 12:30 AM
    Post #6

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,689

In the same boat here. Hopefully they will put 480i in the options for component when they put out new firmware. If not, then I guess I am stuck with composite or having to buy a new TV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
    Nex
    post Nov 5 2009, 09:09 AM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 5,695

Yep, it seems like old non progressive scan compatible TVs will have this issue.

Considering the WD TV Live does support interlaced resolutions, I dont think its impossible to implement both NTSC and PAL interlaced resolutions as well.

That would really make more WD customers happy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 17 2009, 08:22 PM
    Post #8

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,689

I notice too that with HDMI, the only options for 1080p are 23.976Hz, 24Hz, 50Hz, and 60Hz. What about the newer TVs that are capable of 120Hz and 240Hz or is the player not capable of that?

+Quote Post
    Maconvert
    post Nov 21 2009, 12:37 PM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 6,760

Interestingly, the user manual PDF on the CD that came with my WD TV Live HD "does" list support for 480i, so which is it?
    Do you guys think that they can correct this with a firmware update?
    I hope so.

+Quote Post
    oliwek
    post Dec 26 2009, 04:55 PM
    Post #10

WDTV USER

Member No.: 9,461

I have the same problem with my WD TV Live : trying to connect it to my LG lcd TV (RZ-26LZ50)... the only setting I have found to get an image on the TV through component was 576p 50hz ; but as rustyfence explained in the first post : a mis-synced image with double picture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) no image at all with all other (component) (progressive) settings...
    is there a possibility to get an interlaced setting with another firmware?

thank you

+Quote Post
    hsbontop
    post Dec 27 2009, 04:27 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 9,579

I have the same problem. It would be great to se an 480i, 576i and 720i component addition in the next firmware.

+Quote Post
    wdlive480i
    post Jan 9 2010, 07:53 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 10,697

Me too, I really need the interlaced 480i for my standard CRT TV or else I'm going to have to look for another player that does support it. Right now the composite picture isn't very good, whereas my DVD player and cable box using component 480i look great.

+Quote Post
    Maconvert
    post Jan 25 2010, 11:21 AM
    Post #13

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 6,760

It's actually kind of silly for WD to not support these interlaced versions. Due to the low price of this unit, a lot of people would probably buy more than one with the idea that they can use an older TV in a bedroom or something. I just don't see why, if they can support 480p, which is more resource intensive, that they can't support 480i.

+Quote Post
    Alex67
    post Dec 11 2010, 11:54 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 33,877

I have this problem too !!! I just bought a WDTV Live Plus to use with my Sony Wega CRT TV, that has 2 component input options and it wasn't work too !!!!

PLease, release a firmware to solve this problem !!!

+Quote Post
    tmacan
    post May 25 2011, 03:44 PM
    Post #15

WDTV USER

Member No.: 60,362

I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a Sony Wega Trinitron 32" tv with component inputs. I've used the component inputs to hookup several other devices without problem, but with the WD TV Live Plus the screen is out of sync and unreadable. I've upgraded to the latest firmware without success. I almost returned my refurbished unit because of this problem. After obtaining an RMA I went to a local store and bought one only to find it has the exact same problem. Hopefully I can cancel my return of the refurbished one and return the new one to my local store. What a shame those of us in this situation have to go through this, however I am very impressed by the device even with the component video problem. I've installed TwonkyManager and am not completely happy with that (but it still may be worth purchasing after the trial). There's also a hack that adds many interesting capabilities.. look for WDLXTV Live for information about that.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 04:32 PM