Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       "There is no media in the current folder" message
    sweetvn
    post Nov 4 2009, 10:29 PM
    Post #1

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Group: Members
    Member No.: 1,673

Hello,

I have install 1.01.00_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.1.7. I have an ethernet cable connected to WDTV Live. I have an ip address and can get on youtube. I have all the drives connect to the computer and the computer itself shared on the Network using Vista shared folder. Using WDTV Live, I can see my computer on the network fine with all the attached drive. When I access these folder, I keep getting this message "There is no media in the current folder" . Can someone PLEASE pin point me why this error occur? Thanks!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 4 2009, 10:29 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    lottathought
    post Nov 5 2009, 10:52 AM
    Post #2

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 5,083

I just mentioned this problem in another other thread this morning. It seems to be related to a general network problem.

The other thread is http://wdtvhd.com/index.php?showtopic=7278

I am starting to think that there needs to be a serious firmware upgrade on this new device...at least for networking.

+Quote Post
    BruceM
    post Nov 8 2009, 03:20 PM
    Post #3

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 3,735

Yeah it is happening to everyone, for no reason at all, and there's no way to ensure that your shared directors on your PC will be able to be found by the WDTV2. There doesn't seem to be much problem with people's PCs being able to see the WDTV2 (well, the 1-2 USB drives plugged into it) over the network and copy files directly to those drives. As long as you can do that, there's little need for network shares and being able to stream files from PC to WDTV2 by the WDTV2.

+Quote Post
    voy74656
    post Nov 12 2009, 10:52 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,120

Hey all!

Got exactly the same issue here. WD TV Live can see my Vista64 PC but says "no media" all the time.

I did manage randomly get to see the 'Public' shares which streamed fine but nothing else.

For the moment i've just reinstalled TVersity & its working great.

We should see a firmware update soon i hope. I'm sure WD are aware of the issue & they're usually pretty good with firmware updates.

I remember the origional WD TV wouldn't turn on randomly with the remote - firmware flash a few weeks later - all fixed. *waits patiently*

Peace out

Voy

+Quote Post
    BoxDog
    post Nov 17 2009, 02:32 AM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,424

1.01.11 firmware came out today but didn't make a single lick of difference. Screw you, WD! I logged a ticket anyway and expect to see some regurgitated generic support response that won't help.

EDIT: Their reply:

Unfortunately, you have hit our Achilles's heel; at this moment we have limited support for networking on that equipment, also Windows 7 does not support networking communication channel for that equipment.

Answer Title: List of devices that can be connected to a WD TV Live HD Media Player
    Answer Link: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...hp?p_faqid=3805

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

+Quote Post
    Skar
    post Nov 23 2009, 09:39 AM
    Post #6

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 6,493

BoxDog,

Thanks for that reply. At least from my point of view, I know it's less likely to be me setting somthing up incorrectly, rather than their firmware being at fault. Since I have things partially working.

I have got Shared Drives option on the WD TV Live working with my Synology NAS 106, but if I go via the WD TV Live Media Server option, it's not so good, it will only play .avi (Doesn't see .mkvs). Though this may be down to my 106 (Old version) not having DLNA support (108,9s,10s have it). So everything is workable at the moment.

Luckily I avoiding any Shared drive issues to do with Windows 7.

+Quote Post
    lottathought
    post Nov 30 2009, 09:12 AM
    Post #7

WDTV SEMI-PRO

I have an update on this issue.
    I can not pinpoint what it is but it appears to be hard drive specific.

I purchased a 2nd WD TV Live for the bedroom (Yes, I am a glutton for punishment)
    So now I have 2 WD TV lives connected to my network. One in the Living Room and one in the Bedroom.

Both of the units are behaving the EXACT same way.
    I have 3 TB drives connected as storage in addition to my OS hard drive. (For these purposes, we will call them A, B and C.)
    And for the record, I am running Windows 7 64bit with 8 gigs of ram on a quad core cpu.

Both of the WD TV Lives will see all the hard drives on the Lan (A,B and C)
    Both can can see the folders and access the files in the folders on both the A and B drives.
    Both can also see the folders on drive C but both will say "There is no media in the current folder" when either try to access the media on any folder of this hard drive.

Since both WD TV units are doing this, I tend to think it is not a flaw in the unit itself but some sort of incapability with certain drives.
    I can not say exactly how however.
    I can say that both of the TB drives that the WDTV's can see the files are Samsung F1's and the one it can not find see the the files in the folders is a WD Caviar Black.

+Quote Post
    Skar
    post Nov 30 2009, 09:42 AM
    Post #8

WDTV PRO

I would conclude the opposite, I think the fault is with the firmware and shares. Your OS will treat the drives exactly the same. If you want to comfirm my theory, make your B drive the C Drive and vice versa. If it's still the C drive after the swap. It's not the physical drive.

+Quote Post
    lottathought
    post Nov 30 2009, 10:49 AM
    Post #9

WDTV SEMI-PRO

I get what you are saying Skar.
    And I agree that it is a firmware issue.
    I have to wait for firmware however. I just wish I could determine what about drive C is making the WD TV Live units behave differently than A or B.
    (Understand that A, B and C were used just to simply the explanations..I believe that they are actually J, G and Q.)

+Quote Post
    yamatosoul
    post Dec 1 2009, 06:18 PM
    Post #10

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 6,527

I'm using both Twonkyvision and WMP11, and I have this problem with WMP11 only. If I choose WMP11 to access my media after initial start up, it takes forever to open up a folder, and after opening 2 or 3 folders, I get the dreaded message, "There is no media in the current folder". This happens each and every time with WMP11, but it always works fine with Twonkyvision. Anyone else experience this?

+Quote Post
    like2count
    post Dec 5 2009, 09:54 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,978

Here's what's happening to me... First of all, I got an automatic update yesterday when connected my unit to a USB WiFi network adapter, I let it go through the upgrade process.

Hardware: I have an external TB drive connect to my PC where I keep my movies and TV shows (both shared folders). Internal drive has random shared folders on it.

Facts:

- If I share both entire drives, I get the message.

- I can see the shared folders on the external drive, but if I look into either folder, I get the message.

- I can see the shared folders on the internal drive, look in the folders, see all the files and they all them play beautifully.

Why can't I see the files in my external drive that connected to my PC? (yes, I copied a file from the external to the internal and it played fine.)

+Quote Post
    like2count
    post Dec 5 2009, 10:14 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

UPDATE:

I figured it out... I can see and play everything now. LOL, 10 minutes after I posted this. Sorry.

+Quote Post
    Zach
    post Dec 5 2009, 11:38 AM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,935

QUOTE (like2count @ Dec 5 2009, 10:14 AM) *
    UPDATE:

I figured it out... I can see and play everything now. LOL, 10 minutes after I posted this. Sorry.

What was your solution?

I had this exact same problem, where nothing or seemingly random crap would show up if I tried to access my PC using the Media Server option. Then I finally got files to show up but it couldn't play them, some unsupported format BS.

So I have to resort to marking my top level folder as a Network Share, and then use the Network-Share option in the WDTV Live.

Very bizzard crap I tell you.. what is even the point of Media Streaming if Network share works exactly the same way anyhow.

+Quote Post
    KingRyan
    post Dec 5 2009, 05:02 PM
    Post #14

WDTV USER

Member No.: 6,365

I have found a solution that worked for me but I'm not sure how it relates to others (I am running windows XP.)

Try to access your share on your local machine by using the network path. That is, open a window and type in the address: \\computer-name\network-share. Or just \\computer-name and browse to your share. If your problem was the same as mine, you get an error about not having permissions and a cryptic error that says: "Not enough server storage is available to process this command." I had no idea what I meant, so I googled it and found this page:

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/13/not-enoug...s-this-command/

The fix (for me) is to go into the registry and add a new DWORD value called "IRPStackSize" to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ lanmanserver \ parameters . I set the value to 21, rebooted the computer, and all was fine. Watching video on my tv now!! :-)

Hope this solves the problem for others.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Dec 7 2009, 11:29 AM
    Post #15

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,689

You guys that are having the issue, do you use Simple File Sharing?

I have Windows XP, so what I have found is that I turn off simple file sharing. Then I create a user account on each computer called wdtv and assign a password to this account. I just use the same password on each computer to simply things.

The first time I go to access my shares, I am prompted to enter the username and password...so I enter that in and then am able to access my files. If I get the "there is no media in the current folder" OR "unable to access network", then I go into the Network Options and turn OFF the option to remember network shares. When I go to access the network share, it prompts for the username and password, except this time that info is all filled in so I just hit OK and then I can access my files. I then go back and turn the option to remember network shares back ON.

This doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen from time to time so I wouldn't classify this as a solution, but more like a workaround until they can get things sorted out with the new firmware.

+Quote Post
    like2count
    post Dec 7 2009, 11:41 AM
    Post #16

WDTV USER

Here what I did: Like I said before the media files on my internal drive folders worked perfectly and I could see the folders on my external drive, but I got the message when I tried to open them... so I logically knew the problem lay with getting the folders exactly alike. I merely made the security functions on the folders match which was...

Right clicking on the non-working folder, then click on properties, then click on the Security tab. From there under the "Group or User Name" I added (click on add) "Everyone" and bingo (or cha-ching, or whatever you like to say) everything worked great.

+Quote Post
    WaynesNside
    post Dec 21 2009, 08:23 PM
    Post #17

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 8,953

OK here's what I did to get mine to work.

I moved a bunch of files off of my "My Book" so I could format it. After I did that I could see the folders and it would say "No media..."

So I went to My Computer...went to my My Book, right clicked went to properties then as I did before went to Network Sharing and Security (boxes were already checked from when I set it up) clicked the boxes again and clicked apply...the computer started to auto do something...(Set Folder Permissions)....then just for the heck of it I went inside the My Book and did the same with the folders I wanted to share...right click and enabled "Network Sharing and Security and now I can access and see all of my media and stream it to my WD Live.

Now before I didn't share the folders individually just the whole drive, but hey it's working. I'm going try to and uncheck the sharing boxes in the folder and see what happens. Maybe I just had to go back to the My Book properties and all would have been well. At least I know it works for now.

I hope this helps.

Ok after running up and down my stairs checking adjustments made...I think you only have to go to the drive your sharing and recheck the network and sharing boxes again and it might say "setting folder permissions" That was really all I had to do and now I can see all of my files inside my folders of my external My Book and stream.

+Quote Post
    drka0tic
    post Jan 2 2010, 09:19 PM
    Post #18

WDTV USER

Member No.: 1,269

QUOTE (like2count @ Dec 7 2009, 12:41 PM) *
    Right clicking on the non-working folder, then click on properties, then click on the Security tab. From there under the "Group or User Name" I added (click on add) "Everyone" and bingo (or cha-ching, or whatever you like to say) everything worked great.

THIS DID IT! WOOHOO!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks so much. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit btw...

+Quote Post
    Skar
    post Jan 3 2010, 10:29 AM
    Post #19

WDTV PRO

QUOTE (drka0tic @ Jan 3 2010, 02:19 AM) *
    THIS DID IT! WOOHOO!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks so much. I'm on Windows 7 64-bit btw...

I think it's worth remembering that the NO MEDIA error message can basically be saying the same thing, but for slightly different reasons. For instance if it looks in a folder and it's empty, then the NO MEDIA message makes sense. NO MEDIA IN FOLDER would be nicer.

Now if you have media in there but it's contains all files which are of a format that the WDTV Live doesn't recognise, then again you see the NO MEDIA message, but really it should say, NO SUPPORTED MEDIA.

Finally you have the situation where you have a couple of supported media files in a folder, yet when you connect you get the NO MEDIA error message. But of course you know they're there, you can see them. This is more often than not, you don't have READ permissions for that directory. It's that simple. Remember you can have read access to a directory, but not read access to the files.

So as someone has already said, create an account, that is called whatever (I call my media access account MEDIA) and set it to have READ ONLY permissions to the shared media directories. I give my MEDIA account a blank password, which isn't a problem if it's only got read only permission. Try to delete a file in the folder, just to make sure that it's setup correctly.

To be honest sometimes a specific error message can make a big difference in helping you solve a problem. Which some of these device people struggle to implement.

+Quote Post
    Gunderen
    post Jan 7 2010, 02:13 AM
    Post #20

WDTV USER

Member No.: 10,540

Solution for No Media In Current Folder:
    http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3836.0

(short version, if you have all set up correct:
    Click on "Share..." (this part makes it all work)
    Type the username "Everyone" (can also use the dropdown list)
    Click "Add"
    Click "Share"
    Click "Close"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 03:32 PM