Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Youtube 1080p, How do we know if we're watching 1080p?
    majik12
    post Nov 20 2009, 12:19 AM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 4,672

With youtube now supporting 1080p HD videos I was just curious if we're able to playback the 1080p videos on our wdtv2's. I know the unit is capable obviously but I ask because on youtube the resolution is selectable within the video, the user must select 720p or 1080p on videos that are of the supported resolution. So when we watch the videos through the wdtv2, how do we know if we're getting the 720p or 1080p videos? As there is no way to select it within the wdtv2. Any one know? Thanks!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 20 2009, 12:19 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Nov 20 2009, 12:53 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

You're going to need a wicked fast internet connection to watch full 1080p HD aren't you?
    1080p requires something in the range of 30Mb/s of bandwidth.
    I believe that 720p requires something like 19Mb/s.

I don't really know what the actual resolution these Youtube HD videos are but, they look pretty awesome on the WD Live.

I sort of find it hard to think Google, the owner of YouTube would stream anything in full 1080p, or even 720p for that matter.
    Bandwidth costs money.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 20 2009, 04:05 PM
    Post #3

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 5,689

I downloaded some HD movie trailers off youtube and they are indeed 1920x1080. There were a couple with an odd size of 1920x800 as well. The audio is only 2 channels though.

+Quote Post
    majik12
    post Nov 20 2009, 05:09 PM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

Member No.: 4,672

Well, I do know they're at least advertising the fact they're doing 1080p videos, I think it all comes down to the users who upload and advertise their videos as 1080p but I do know they're allowing them now. How they can justify the costs is beyond me but they have been doing 720p for quite awhile now. I have a 25Mb/s line here in Canada and have no problem streaming Youtube HD 1080p or 720p videos on my pc and so far no issues streaming them to the wdtv live either.

I'm just curious as to what actual resolution we get on the wdtv live because with all of the HD videos on the site, one has to manually click HD button and then further the user has to select between 720p and 1080p on the controls of the video. On the WDTV live, we do not get the full youtube interface where we can select the HD and the resolution. So I was just curious if anyone knew what resolution we get when we view the HD content on the wdtv live as there is no way to select the resolution or even select the HD button.

Look at this video as an example, it defaults to 720p and the user must select 1080p manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5U8suTUw0

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 21 2009, 01:14 AM
    Post #5

WDTV PRO

The 1080p version of that file is only 1920x816.

Try this one, it's 1920x1080
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0lJ_ja1PM&hd=1

+Quote Post
    Lan
    post Nov 26 2009, 08:49 AM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,177

QUOTE (majik12 @ Nov 20 2009, 01:19 AM) *
    With youtube now supporting 1080p HD videos I was just curious if we're able to playback the 1080p videos on our wdtv2's. I know the unit is capable obviously but I ask because on youtube the resolution is selectable within the video, the user must select 720p or 1080p on videos that are of the supported resolution. So when we watch the videos through the wdtv2, how do we know if we're getting the 720p or 1080p videos? As there is no way to select it within the wdtv2. Any one know? Thanks!

If you can't tell if it's 720p or 1080p then something is not right. The selling point of BluRay is "it's visibly better." One way you can tell is watching the same scene from WDTV2 side by side with a BluRay at 1080p on a HD screen. You can immediately tell if WDTV2 is streaming in 1080p or less.

+Quote Post
    bornt
    post Nov 26 2009, 02:33 PM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

Member No.: 7,193

QUOTE (majik12 @ Nov 20 2009, 01:19 AM) *
    how do we know if we're getting the 720p or 1080p videos?

With your eyes.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Nov 26 2009, 02:44 PM
    Post #8

WDTV PRO

QUOTE (Release Notes)
    Added a “Display Resolution” field so that users can see the current resolution setting more efficiently; previously this setting was within another menu

Would be nice to know where to actually find this...then maybe it would actually tell us what resolution the videos are playing at.

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Dec 8 2009, 09:10 AM
    Post #9

WDTV GURU

QUOTE (Mikael @ Nov 26 2009, 02:44 PM) *
    Would be nice to know where to actually find this...then maybe it would actually tell us what resolution the videos are playing at.

Doesn't your HD TV have an "info" button on it's remote?

when I hit that it tells me what resolution it's playing in at the time.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Dec 8 2009, 10:49 AM
    Post #10

WDTV PRO

When I hit the info button, it just brings up the menu bar (ie. subtitles, zoom, etc). I don't recall anything about the resolution in there.

+Quote Post
    john5246
    post Dec 12 2009, 02:39 AM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,525

QUOTE (TXmike @ Nov 20 2009, 11:53 AM) *
    You're going to need a wicked fast internet connection to watch full 1080p HD aren't you?
    1080p requires something in the range of 30Mb/s of bandwidth.
    I believe that 720p requires something like 19Mb/s.

I don't really know what the actual resolution these Youtube HD videos are but, they look pretty awesome on the WD Live.

I sort of find it hard to think Google, the owner of YouTube would stream anything in full 1080p, or even 720p for that matter.
    Bandwidth costs money.

Nope absolutely not! You don't need that much bandwidth to play those full HD 1080p movies. There's also a thing called buffering.

Also keep in mind that 1080p doesn't necessarily mean the bitrate of a blu-ray movie.

They stream in HD because they want to offer people the best experience. Another company could offer it and google would lose viewers. Also they plan on selling movie rentals from youtube so that's another reason they're supporting 1080p video.

+Quote Post
    john5246
    post Dec 12 2009, 02:40 AM
    Post #12

WDTV USER

Member No.: 8,525

QUOTE (majik12 @ Nov 19 2009, 11:19 PM) *

This is exactly what I was wondering!?!?!

Why didn't anyone here answer this question?

There's no way to do it as of yet right? Since youtube just started supporting HD if it's not possible now maybe in the next update???

+Quote Post
    radialman
    post Dec 12 2009, 10:24 AM
    Post #13

WDTV EXPERT

Member No.: 6,608

Just thought i would point out that 1920 x 800 although not strictly 1080p it is still in fact full hi definition (not 720p).

Its just that it has a different but still correct aspect ratio!

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Dec 12 2009, 10:38 AM
    Post #14

WDTV GURU

QUOTE (john5246 @ Dec 12 2009, 01:39 AM) *
    Nope absolutely not! You don't need that much bandwidth to play those full HD 1080p movies. There's also a thing called buffering.

Also keep in mind that 1080p doesn't necessarily mean the bitrate of a blu-ray movie.

They stream in HD because they want to offer people the best experience. Another company could offer it and google would lose viewers. Also they plan on selling movie rentals from youtube so that's another reason they're supporting 1080p video.

Sure, it's 1920x1080 resolution but not full 1080p. 1080p is blu-ray.

I have IPTV and even that is only capable of 1080i so I promise you Youtube ain't streaming 1080p (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It looks good though, I just use the search feature and search HD. I know that doesn't answer the 2nd question but, you can watch an HD Youtube video.

+Quote Post
    melvynadam
    post Feb 4 2010, 01:36 AM
    Post #15

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 12,198

QUOTE (TXmike @ Dec 12 2009, 05:38 PM) *
    I promise you Youtube ain't streaming 1080p (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I know you've all heard of Google so why did nobody actually research the question before making "promises"?

See the relevant post on the official YouTube blog from November:
    http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2009/11...to-youtube.html

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Feb 13 2010, 06:00 PM
    Post #16

WDTV GURU

So you found something on the Internet about it......well, I stand corrected. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Let me just say, if what Youtube is streaming is suppose to compare to Blu-Ray DVD then color me not impressed. I hope no one is misguided enough to think just because they've watched something on Youtube in a 1080p format that, that can hold a candle to a real Blu-ray 1080p format.
    There's a world of difference in bit rate, encoding or FPS, something cause it's not even close.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Feb 14 2010, 02:36 PM
    Post #17

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (TXmike @ Feb 14 2010, 04:30 AM) *
    I hope no one is misguided enough to think just because they've watched something on Youtube in a 1080p format that, that can hold a candle to a real Blu-ray 1080p format.

Isn't that pretty obvious? I don't know of many home users with internet speeds capable of streaming 30-50+ GB of data at high enough speeds not to cause buffering or various other issues; that of course being the average size of content on a Bluray disc. The more you cut down on size, the more you cut down on quality. It's as simple as that.

+Quote Post
    isecore
    post Apr 6 2010, 12:35 PM
    Post #18

WDTV USER

Member No.: 16,470

What I wonder is: how the heck do you turn HD on? I can't find a menu-item or similar for it seemingly anywhere, and I know that it plays back the lowest-resolution video (360p) available because it looks like complete and utter crap. I know for a fact as well that HD is available since that's an option when viewing the videos on my computer.

Just upgraded to the latest 1.02.21 firmware the other day, if that's relevant.

+Quote Post
    eortiz
    post Apr 6 2010, 04:15 PM
    Post #19

WDTV USER

Member No.: 16,415

After firmware 1.01.24 all HD content from youbute is blocked... so no more youtube HD in the WDTV Live, at least with the WD official firmwares.

+Quote Post
    Mikael
    post Apr 6 2010, 04:24 PM
    Post #20

WDTV PRO

I usually just download the HD video from Youtube and put them in a shared folder.

Get Firefox and install this addon:
    Video DownloadHelper
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

Have it configured to disable the formats you don't want. On mine, the only ones enabled are HQ37 and HQ22.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 03:19 AM