Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Playing playlists and or adding enqueue feature
    floyd
    post Nov 21 2009, 09:04 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 6,771

Hi there, I am new to your forum, I have just bought a wdtv live and love it, but i think it would be good if they could add an enqueue for the mp3 files so we can play more than one directory of music or alternatively if they could add a m3u playlist feature which would do a similar job, all my music is in album directories so i can only play 1 album at a time.

anyway, thanks for running this forum i can see it being a good resource for information.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 21 2009, 09:04 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 22 2009, 10:48 AM
    Post #2

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

AFAIK all the WD TV models support the following playlist formats - PLS, M3U and WPL. If you want an option to enque songs/albums using the software+remote, then I guess that's a feature request for the next firmware release. Not a bad one though. +1

+Quote Post
    floyd
    post Nov 25 2009, 01:51 AM
    Post #3

WDTV USER

i have tried m3u and it doesnt recognize it, i will try the other 2 formats and let you know, hopefully they work and that will be good enough for me

Thanks for the reply

+Quote Post
    floyd
    post Nov 27 2009, 01:35 AM
    Post #4

WDTV USER

hi there, i downloaded a program called playlist creator from here

http://www.oddgravity.de/

and saved the playlist as a pls file and it worked perfect

thanks for the help

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 27 2009, 09:36 AM
    Post #5

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Hi floyd,

Is there anything special about Playlist Creator that one can't do with Winamp, for example? I create playlists with Winamp when I connect my USB HDD to my PC, and the WD TV seems to handle them fine.

+Quote Post
    floyd
    post Nov 27 2009, 08:31 PM
    Post #6

WDTV USER

I first used winamp and made a m3u playlist, but the wd tv live didnt like the m3u format, i see you can save the playlist on winamp in pls so there really is no advantage to using that playlist editor if you like winamp, iv only ever used winamp as m3u , i dint realise you could make pls files as ive never needed to until now.

thanks for the info though

+Quote Post
    floyd
    post Nov 28 2009, 02:04 AM
    Post #7

WDTV USER

just has a play with winamps playlists and the wdtvlive wouldnt accept them for some reason, not sure why, but with that other little program they are fine, not sure what the difference is in the data, but ill have a look at the files and see

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 28 2009, 05:25 AM
    Post #8

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

That's weird... I just checked out Playlist Creator v3.6.1 (the latest) and the only difference I could see was that Winamp creates playlists (both M3U and PLS) with absolute paths by default (without the drive letter, of course), and Playlist Creator creates playlists with relative paths by default (this setting can be changed). I'll check if that makes any difference at all to the WD TV.

P.S. I prefer Winamp 'cos Playlist Creator clearly had issues reading ID3v2 tags (esp. the newer versions of ID3v2) whereas Winamp doesn't. As a result playlists created with Playlist Creator have gaps where it failed to identify the artist, album etc.

+Quote Post
    floyd
    post Nov 29 2009, 01:43 AM
    Post #9

WDTV USER

In my case im running a nas drive through my network and it needs the full paths to be able to find the music, That playlist creator was just the first freeware one i found, ill check out some more and see if there are any with better features, or maybe theres a way to get winamp to add the drive letter as well in its playlists

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 29 2009, 12:49 PM
    Post #10

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (floyd @ Nov 29 2009, 01:13 PM) *
    In my case im running a nas drive through my network and it needs the full paths to be able to find the music

Ah! I guess that's the reason why I had no issues with Winamp playlists, since I plug in my USB HDDs directly into the player. (That, plus I have the WD TV and not the Live, so there may be some small differences there in how they handle playlists.)

+Quote Post
    bman
    post Mar 15 2010, 07:16 PM
    Post #11

WDTV USER

Member No.: 14,954

+1 on the original post idea of enqueueing from the remote.

But failing that, I'd be just as happy to have the WDTV Live search deeper than one directory when looking for media files.

Since I store my music in a "music" share on my NAS, and then organize the files by Artist/Album/Tracks (i.e. three directories deep) I have no quick way of just pointing the WDTV Live to the "music" share and telling it to randomly choose tracks to play from the entire catalogue.

Maybe someone has modded the firmware already for this? I am having no luck finding it.

+Quote Post
    spiktsu
    post Mar 28 2010, 09:41 AM
    Post #12

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 2,579

Same here... it would be nice to just hit the option button and have it shuffle all the songs I have in the Music
    folder or shuffle one certain folder. Hopefully they'll do this soon on the next firmware release... Cause going thru
    creating playlist and M3u's, it's a pain...

+Quote Post
    rotax
    post Apr 24 2010, 07:21 PM
    Post #13

WDTV USER

Member No.: 14,075

QUOTE (bman @ Mar 15 2010, 07:16 PM) *
    +1 on the original post idea of enqueueing from the remote.

But failing that, I'd be just as happy to have the WDTV Live search deeper than one directory when looking for media files.

Since I store my music in a "music" share on my NAS, and then organize the files by Artist/Album/Tracks (i.e. three directories deep) I have no quick way of just pointing the WDTV Live to the "music" share and telling it to randomly choose tracks to play from the entire catalogue.

Maybe someone has modded the firmware already for this? I am having no luck finding it.

I have my music organized the same way and I can play randomly from my entire "Music" directory. You have to set the Media Library option to On and Music Sequence to Shuffle. This will add the All Music option to the music player. You then select All Music, wait for the list to populate and hit play. Mine always starts with the same song but it shuffles after that.

I agree with you - wish it would look deeper than one layer. It'd be nice to shuffle a particular artist or genre.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 07:35 PM