Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       Iomega, Patriot, Amkette and a whole lot more!
    WDUser
    post Nov 22 2009, 09:09 AM
    Post #1

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Whoa! Looks like all of a sudden the market's inundated with media players! Now every company (even the hitherto unknown ones) seems to be jumping on the bandwagon and is releasing players left, right and center. Frankly, it's tough to compare 'em all and make an informed decision.

For starters, you can check out this page, wihch lists some of the gazillion players out there. You can select and compare multiple models based on a variety of parameters, which is quite good.

Also came across the following at Amazon and elsewhere:

1) The Iomega ScreenPlay USB 2.0/AV 500 GB HD Multimedia Drive 34200 and its elder sibling the Iomega ScreenPlay Pro 1 TB USB 2.0/AV/Ethernet HD Multimedia Hard Drive 34151, which don't look half bad, are pretty cheap (at least the 500GB one) and come with included storage to boot, over and above the ability to use external drives. I'm sure that'll appeal to some people.

2) The Patriot Box Office 1080P High Definition Media Player PCMPBO25, which looks quite nifty, has better video format support, a far better remote IMO, and most importantly, reviewers say a far more responsive remote compared to the WD models!

3) Last but not least, we have the Amkette Flash TV. Does look like a bit of a knock-off and supports lesser formats compared to the WD TV (though again it has RM/RMVB support). Biggest cons? No HDMI or MKV support (MP4's ok though). Pluses? Has an in-built SD/MMC card reader. Thing is, in a price sensitive market where HDMI is still to take off really and most people are still stuck with std. def. TVs, a player retailing at a mere 60-odd dollars might just be the ticket for people looking to play their digital content inexpensively. Here's a review if anyone's interested.

What interests me is that we're on the cusp of seeing these sorts of players go really mass market, which is when we'll see prices drop like a rock, and yet standardize on a feature set that will include far more than any of the players support at present. As of now we have players that are good in one department but bad in others, but pretty soon we should see players with better all-round capabilities at reasonable price points. All in all, a great time to be around if you're a digital media buff, and there're certainly some interesting things to look forward to! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P.S. It'll be nice if people keep adding to this sub-forum as and when they happen to come across new interesting players. Even a link to a review will suffice. Often one may remain simply ignorant about a product due to the sheer amount of stuff available out there, and thus may end up buying something inferior without making a proper comparison. Thus if like-minded people point out something good, we're more likely to pay attention and be better informed before our next purchase. Thanks!
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 22 2009, 09:09 AM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Nov 24 2009, 03:53 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Group: Members
    Member No.: 676

I think it's just a matter of time before we see all of this functionality built right into the TV itself.
    As tiny as these ST boxes are now, it's not like it would take much to just include it.

Several TVs already have the network option built in, I might have read a few even offer Netflix built in. But for sure they have usb ports already.

Won't be long.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Nov 24 2009, 05:10 PM
    Post #3

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

Well, considering the fact that the average lifespan of a TV is much more than that of a media player (in general), I hope not. 'Cos once the firmware updates stop and new models are introduced, it's never easy/cheap to upgrade bundled hardware. Plus of course the very real possibility of more things going wrong with bundles, and with one non-working component creating problems for the rest of the hardware. I always prefer stuff that does one job, and does it well, but of course, there's room enough for all sorts of devices in the market.

+Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Nov 24 2009, 07:51 PM
    Post #4

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

"I always prefer stuff that does one job, and does it well,"

They said that about computers too and look at all the stuff people use them for now.

I would rather not have multiple devices shoved into one either....I bought a DVD/VCR one time and it was the biggest POS made. Even though, I still bet they do it eventually. TV makers are always looking for some new function they can add on. I think they're just about to release the new 3D TV technology anytime now.

+Quote Post
    miniguy
    post Dec 30 2010, 01:41 PM
    Post #5

WDTV USER

Member No.: 35,964

I myself own the Patriot Box Office and love it dearly. The rest of my siblings own the WD TV. I am happy to say that I like my PBO over all the WD TV players. Reads every file I throw at it, up to date firmware upgrades, and alot eaier to use with all the buttons on the remote control conpare to the WD. That's MPO.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 01:28 PM