Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
       What is the best media format to rip if I want the files to play on my WDTV and my PS3?
    hollim
    post Nov 24 2009, 12:00 PM
    Post #1

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 7,038

Hi All,

Apologies if this information is already posted, I have searched and not come up with any results. I am a newbie with all this DivX, XviD encoding stuff.

I am wondering if there is a video / audio combination which is compatible with both the Playstation 3 and the WD TV?

I have just ordered my WD TV, and am considering getting myself a PS3 in the next few months. I am told that the PS3 has some media playback functions on it, and would like to get started on converting some of my DVD's.

Ideally, the format I choose would be compatible with both players, so that regardless of which unit I plug my passport hard drive into, the media will play.

At present, I am using DVD Fab for encoding. I am not sure if the software supplied with the WD TV makes things simpler or not. There are a huge number of video / audio codec options, even when choosing the generic format!

Any advise on the optimum settings to use would be appreciated. I would like to get near DVD quality picture, but since I don't have a surround system, I guess stereo audio would be fine.

Thanks in advance.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Nov 24 2009, 12:00 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    TXmike
    post Nov 24 2009, 03:40 PM
    Post #2

WDTV GURU

Member No.: 676

There are several options for the Live and PS3
    You can use .avi, .mpg or .wmv files on both. With 3rd party software (Playon) you can also play .mkv files on the PS3, they'll play natively on the Live.
    I've only tested the PS3 across the network. Not from any usb drives connected to it.

With Playon you can also play Hulu, Espn, CBS, JustinTV, Netflix (supposedly) and several other streams on both systems. Keep in mind tho, Playon costs extra and you have to install it on a PC on your home network. A damn fast computer at that.
    Side note about Playon is, huge mkv files can sometimes playback crappy. The Playon server has to rencode your mkv files to a format the PS3 can play, obviously that takes horsepower and speed to do. The Playon media playback option is still beta too. Playon also down samples the audio on your video file so, if it was digital you're only going to get stereo quality on the PS3.

As for the codecs used to encode your media, It just depends on the quality you want. It's different for everyone. Some people want huge, great quality videos with no encoding (mkv) and some people worry about storage size and want smaller files (avi). The WDLive will play most any format or codec, or it's suppose to ... ymmv.

In my opinion, grab makemkv, it's free and just dump your dvd out in full, uncompressed goodness and watch them back on the WD Live.

+Quote Post
    hatetea58
    post Jan 29 2010, 11:47 PM
    Post #3

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 11,164

well, in my opinion, mkv on wdtv, avi on ps3

+Quote Post
    jimmy8765
    post Mar 19 2010, 12:38 AM
    Post #4

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 14,566

PS3 supported video and audio formats:

Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (PS, TS), H.264/MEPG-4 AVC, and MPEG-4;

Audio formats: ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3), AAC (.3gp .mp4), MP3 (.mp3), WAV (.wav).

Media File Formats Supported on the original WD TV HD Media Player(WDAVx00) (Based on Firmware Version 1.03.01)

Video -- WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), MT2S, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

* MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
    * FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
    * The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.

+Quote Post
    j2000
    post Jul 27 2010, 03:03 PM
    Post #5

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 22,815

I rip blu-ray to 1080P mp4 for ps3. I dont have my WDTV yet to play with but i understand this also plays mp4 in 1080P.

There is one small hurdle and thats ps3 only recognises FAT32 hd and file size is limited. To get around this i put the movies on a BD-RE and then they transfer fine to the PS3 OS HD.

Burning the blu rays all the time is the main reason i just purchased a WDTV!

Above is for HD, if you want SD i would just use DIVX or XVID or pretty much anything the ps3 supports because i think the WDTV has it covered on codecs.

Just realised how old this post is, oh well it may help someone.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jul 27 2010, 03:55 PM
    Post #6

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

QUOTE (j2000 @ Jul 28 2010, 01:33 AM) *
    Just realised how old this post is, oh well it may help someone.

Useful information is always appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 04:36 PM