Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD TV Live HD Media Player won't play my .avi-files
    WDUser
    post May 15 2011, 11:24 PM
    Post #21

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

It plays all my AVIs fine with not a single one creating any problems. I just suggested that you might want to unpack the bitstream (not re-encode) using MPEG Modifier and see if that helps, although to me your file seems to be fine. Also try playing from another drive, maybe an externally powered one if you have it. However, I'm no video encoding expert, plus WD has never released detailed technical specifications regarding supported codecs, so who knows what the matter is exactly with your files that's causing the player to choke.
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post May 15 2011, 11:24 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    Dorian Black
    post May 16 2011, 11:45 AM
    Post #22

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 58,356

I am not sure what do you mean by "unpack the bitstream". I re-encoded the AVI to MKV using handbrake and the file worked (using the same drive as before). Nonetheless, I will buy a new external drive and will check if it works. However, I must say I am disappointed with this product and from the fact that WD has not released any FW update even though this problem was brought up already last year! I will recommend looking for a different streamer and NOT buying the WD TV Live.
    PS. I tried another AVI file and the problem still exists. So, right now it stands where I tried 2 AVI's and both could not be played by the device. 2 strikes!

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post May 16 2011, 01:49 PM
    Post #23

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

I specifically pointed to the post where I had given the link to MPEG4 Modifier. You can use it to quickly and losslessly unpack the AVI's bitstream, just to see if it helps in any way. I never mentioned re-encoding, which would degrade quality and is obviously not an option for every AVI file you have.

Attached File  MPEG4Modifier.png ( 14.09K ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
    bubkes
    post May 18 2011, 12:23 PM
    Post #24

WDTV USER

Member No.: 57,834

My WD TV Live HD Player used to play AVI videos,streaming from computer over my LAN, but no longer. Most of my AVI's use Mpeg4 codec. I can get them to play by unbundling them or converting them; a tedious process. I use a Mac and use AVITools to unbundle the AVIs. My question is since programs like AVITools is a relatively simple program, why doesn't WD include such capability into it's firmware?

Also what changed in device so it no longer plays any AVI videos?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post May 18 2011, 11:04 PM
    Post #25

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@bubkes: Those are questions only WD can answer. As to what's changed, their FW development process seems so dodgy that it's always a crapshoot and a definite risk every time you decide to update the FW.

+Quote Post
    frankge973
    post Jun 2 2011, 04:00 AM
    Post #26

WDTV USER

Member No.: 60,979

I've had the problem with several XviD. Same error message. I've WD TV LIVE.
    Solved with MPEG4modifier changing fourcc code from XviD0050 to DivX0050.
    It runs also I can switch back to XviD0050 so reading this topic I believe that it's sufficient to unpack and pack again.
    Right?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 3 2011, 12:46 PM
    Post #27

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (frankge973 @ Jun 2 2011, 03:30 PM) *
    I believe that it's sufficient to unpack and pack again.
    Right?

Mate, whatever works for you and gets your files working with the least amount of fuss/loss is the way to go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
    Darcy
    post Sep 4 2011, 05:34 AM
    Post #28

WDTV USER

Member No.: 79,098

I am having a similar issue where we can watch most .avi media files on our WD Media player, but on the odd occasion (more often than I'd like) we can get to the last 5mins of a movie and the media STOPS!!!! So frustrating. I can switch the external HDD to my brothers WD player and watch these problem movies with no issues what so ever. I have reset everything on mine, tried every setting possible, and also upgraded the firmware. Out of options. Thanks.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Sep 4 2011, 02:03 PM
    Post #29

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

That's odd. Is the same firmware version installed on both players?

+Quote Post
    Keiser
    post Dec 27 2011, 09:27 PM
    Post #30

WDTV USER

Member No.: 99,714

I had a similar problem. I was also unable to play an AVI file with the same error message. Other avi files on the usb stick worked but one of them would get the 'Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the user manual for a list of supported file formats.' message.

Solution: Doing a *restart via the setup menu. Now my avi file works fine.

Worth a try for anyone with the same problem. I have the latest firmware installed.

Update: Seems like all of my avi files won't work. I have to do a restart every time in order to play them. One of the files also freezes up and is very choppy. Might be returning this media player.

+Quote Post
    snowalker
    post Mar 3 2012, 10:10 PM
    Post #31

WDTV USER

Member No.: 108,262

they all are playing Avi files except WD LIVE which is unfortunately a piece of garbage.

Bought one WD LIVE today and got tired after half of day of trying to make it work. I am sad, furious and extremely frustrated! I have a Comptia A+ certification and I'm also computer programmer. Never saw a buggier thing in my entire life!

But what is bothering me the most is the false advertising, saying is playing any possible video format. What a joke!

+Quote Post
    akki
    post Mar 17 2012, 12:05 AM
    Post #32

WDTV USER

Member No.: 108,924

try and see to convert that avi file into another like MKV which i think wont loose the quality with better result..it will certainly take time but thats the way to go if you cant make it work..just use mkvmerge..!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:59 PM