Forum - Index
Welcome to the WDTVFORUMS, Please register.

WD TV HD the media player by Western Digital plays almost any Movie format and Music format. Please take the time to register and show support as well as give support for all WD TV models. Use the link below to register and enjoy all the advantages of being a member, enter upcoming contests, see all the images and enjoy all the downloadable content the forum has to offer. Thank you and see you on the boards!

• REGISTER HERE! (fast and free)

• Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
       WD Freezes with spinning wheel
    wdlivetv
    post Jun 11 2010, 03:59 PM
    Post #21

WDTV USER

Group: Members
    Member No.: 20,364

Hey, I had similar problem. I have upgrade my FW to beta 1.03.22 and it work fine now. I did not tested it for movie lasts more then 20 min so I will try it and I will confirmed it or will try find another solution. (Ive already tryed B-Rad FW, but there were different problems)
    Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
    post Jun 11 2010, 03:59 PM
    Post #

SITE SUPPORT

Group: Bot

Quote Post
    wdlivetv
    post Jun 12 2010, 07:56 AM
    Post #22

WDTV USER

Bad news. New firmware did not help. When I play video longer then xx minute (dont know exact time) the player freeze and continue playing video till the end and then stop with black screen. Only electricity disconenting will help to be able to play another movie. Even if you leave the preview displaying for longer time, preview freeze the player and you are not able to change movie. I tryed to disable the screensaver but it not help. It looks that this is realy problem of my hardware.

Configuration: WD TV Live + NAS Seagate BlackArmor 110, firmware 1.03.22

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 13 2010, 03:47 PM
    Post #23

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

Group: Moderator
    Member No.: 6,287

@wdlivetv: I hope you've tried playing from a normal (preferably freshly formatted) NTFS/HFS externally-powered USB drive instead of your NAS? If you've not done so, try it once before you RMA your player. If it still behaves the same way, then you're right, might be a hardware issue after all.

+Quote Post
    aphex34
    post Jun 17 2010, 11:58 PM
    Post #24

WDTV USER

Member No.: 18,690

My problem is with the nas playback. If I use a USB drive i don't notice the problem or get the wheel of death. But trying to pause or any button pushing while playing back over the network is a showstopper.I have used regular nas enclosures, I built a windows server machine and now was hoping my new drobo fs would help with the problem. But no. I have rolled back and tried each firmware all they way to 1.01.11. Still the same problem. Now WD puts out a new player!? You would think they would address these issues and fix them before rolling out another box. I have 2 of these now because I really loved the regular wdtv. I feel like I need to look for another mkv player. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
    wdlivetv
    post Jun 19 2010, 02:10 AM
    Post #25

WDTV USER

I continued testing more my WDTV Live player and I can confirm, that playing movie from USB (External HD Teac Digi Drive 2,5 80GB) do not make freeze player because of time. Only when I make some incorrect operation like do not stop movie when I switch to menu and then try to play another movie. Then player freeze and I must restart device. Funny is that I can play still DVD files (mpeg 2 format) not mpeg1 or mpeg4.
    Playing from net or from NAS server is time depending. It looks like the LAN card in device make some wrong operation because of higher temperature of device and then the movie operation freeze in last state (play, FF, FB, prewiew).
    So it must be wrong LAN hardware because if there be software problem all users have same problem.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Jun 19 2010, 04:31 PM
    Post #26

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (wdlivetv @ Jun 19 2010, 12:40 PM) *
    It looks like the LAN card in device make some wrong operation because of higher temperature of device and then the movie operation freeze in last state (play, FF, FB, prewiew).

Heat-related malfunctions are a known problem with this model.

+Quote Post
    Unrealer
    post Aug 26 2010, 07:29 AM
    Post #27

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,503

I have a similar problem, this started like a month ago. Some of the files crash my whole WDTV. After selecting a file and playing it, I get the spinning wheel and it stays that way forever. If I go back and play another file, a file that played before with no problems, I still get the spinning wheel. I need to reset WDTV or remove the cord and after that it plays fine. I try to remux the file with mkvmerge, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
    Also, I've been having another problem from the day I bought WDTV, after playing a file for a minute or so it sometimes start to lag and glitch, then I need to turn off WDTV and turn it back on and that fixes it.

+Quote Post
    hooperdog
    post Aug 29 2010, 09:02 AM
    Post #28

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,708

I had this same problem recently. I have been extremely happy with the WDTV plugged into my network to watch stuff on my FreeNas server. Works great. After getting the blue spinny wheel thingie I began to get frustrated. I read all your posts, and decided to just blow the thing out with compressed air, and re-position the box on an angle, so both of the vented ends were exposed to air. Guess what?-it worked! Have had no problems since!

Keep it cool, and maybe it will work for you too!

Happy watching!

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Aug 29 2010, 02:51 PM
    Post #29

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

interesting hooperdog, please keep us updated on it, fingers crossed that's all it was!

thanks for passing that along, if anyone else tries it please let us know your results also.

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Aug 29 2010, 05:24 PM
    Post #30

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

@hooperdog: Your experience seems to agree with what I said above re. heat-related malfunctions.

+Quote Post
    WaynesNside
    post Sep 2 2010, 01:06 PM
    Post #31

WDTV PRO

Member No.: 8,953

This also happened to me. My problem was the last set of movie files I moved to my drive were bad in some way. No matter what I did the wheel would just spin.

I removed those files and it worked again. I even went and got another WD from best buy and it did the same thing until I removed those bad files.

I do only mkv movies so I'm still not sure what was wrong with them. They played fine on my comp.

+Quote Post
    hooperdog
    post Sep 2 2010, 07:54 PM
    Post #32

WDTV USER

Member No.: 24,708

Ok folks- since I last posted, my WDTV still works great! Just had to keep it cool. Hope you are having the same luck!

Happy viewing!

+Quote Post
    slpstang02
    post Sep 12 2010, 10:45 AM
    Post #33

WDTV USER

Member No.: 25,629

I am sure im not the only one with this issue. Recently my WDTV player worked flawlessly. I have a CAT6 cable plugged into the back of my player for maximum transfer rate. It plays everything I have thrown at it perfectly (M2TS/MKV Etc). However as of recently starting yesturday. The unit continues to freeze and the screen goes black with the blue wheel spinning forever. I unplug the unit for 10 seconds and plug it back in. It will play a movie. However when I pause the movie or return to the menu and play a different movie it freezes again. Does anybody know how to fix this? The unit sits behind my Flat screen with both vent sides exposed.

Please HELP!!

Thank you.

+Quote Post
    Rev Drew
    post Sep 12 2010, 01:31 PM
    Post #34

Global Moderator
    Group Icon

Group: Global Mod :: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 10

sounds like it may be overheating, try blowing it out with compressed air and see if it behaves differently.
    they can get an accumulation of dust inside and that will cause some funky behavior.

+Quote Post
    onyxatom
    post Sep 17 2010, 08:30 AM
    Post #35

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 17,400

I just started having this problem as well. I upgraded the firmware and thought that was the problem. So i reverted to the previous FW and still experiencing the same issue. I had a suspicion that overheating maybe the problem or perhaps the unit has just malfunctioned...

As it stands now the unit will not play ANY video or audio from any source. I unplugged it while i'm at work and will check again when i get back home.

+Quote Post
    onyxatom
    post Sep 18 2010, 05:24 PM
    Post #36

WDTV SEMI-PRO

Member No.: 17,400

So I let the WD sit off for a day or so. I upgraded to the latest Pre-release Beta: 1.03.40. Did a few soft and hard resets and finally got the unit up and running again. Not sure what the *exact* problem was, but a combination of what I did may solve the problem for someone else... Good luck!

+Quote Post
    overrider
    post Oct 10 2010, 08:38 AM
    Post #37

WDTV USER

Member No.: 27,670

Hi I was using my WDTV live without problem. Today I downloaded a MKV with AC3 sound. I played it with WDTV but there was picture but no sound in video. I made some research and I read that MKVmerge would solve the problem.

I run the video with that program then played with WDTV. Video did not start and furthermore I was unable to run any other videos. WDTV was stuck!

I solved the problem about WDTV with

1) deleting the .wdtv folder form external drives via my PC
    2) then unplug the power cable from WDTV.
    3) replug external drives usb cables to WDTV
    4) replug the power cable from WDTV

This solved my problem and my WDTV works perfectly again but I still don't know what to do with my MKV without sound.
    I also can not play older WMV encoded movies.

Is there anyone who have encountered such problems and solved in an practical way?

+Quote Post
    WDUser
    post Oct 10 2010, 11:06 AM
    Post #38

WDTV GEEK
    Group Icon

QUOTE (overrider @ Oct 10 2010, 08:08 PM) *
    Hi I was using my WDTV live without problem. Today I downloaded a MKV with AC3 sound. I played it with WDTV but there was picture but no sound in video. I made some research and I read that MKVmerge would solve the problem.

Did you disable header compression for both audio and video tracks as mentioned here?

+Quote Post
    overrider
    post Oct 10 2010, 02:05 PM
    Post #39

WDTV USER

Member No.: 27,670

QUOTE (WDUser @ Oct 10 2010, 07:06 PM) *
    Did you disable header compression for both audio and video tracks as mentioned here?

No I didn't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I just downloaded another copy of the film (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If I encounter a similar problem again, I will try it as explained. Thank you.

+Quote Post
    wasim274
    post Oct 12 2010, 12:10 PM
    Post #40

WDTV SEMI-PRO
    Group Icon

Group: Site Supporter
    Member No.: 14,770

Sometimes it's endless spinning blue wheel, more often it's just blank screen. This happens when I try to play a particular MKV movie (HD from Blu-Ray.."Australia"). I can back up into the menu with all thumbnails showing. When I try to play any movie it is just endless spinning blue wheel until I reboot. Then OK with any movie I've tried so far...until I try to play the offending movie..then same issue. I've tried deleting the database folder (.wdtv) but same problem. Can play offending movie on computer OK. Info from MediaInfo seems standard but suspect I have corrupt file that the computer is able to cope with but sadly not my WD TV HD live. Currently operating on WDLXTV-LIVE 0.4.2.6. Not seen this before? By the way, I have removed the compacted headers and converted PGS subtitles to .srt (I think). No problem with other similarly treated files.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
    Reply to this topicStart new topic
    1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
    0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version
    Delete cookies set by this board · Mark all posts as read
    Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:36 PM